Sequence Problem Set help

In summary: As mathwonk pointed out, the problem is a bit ambiguous. It's possible that the author intended for an to be a decreasing sequence, in which case the argument presented by mathwonk would work. However, if there are no other assumptions given, then the statement "an is decreasing" cannot be made and the problem cannot be solved.
MIT2014

Homework Statement

For n[tex]\geq[/tex]1 let 2an [tex]\leq[/tex] an-1 + an+1
Prove that an converges

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

2an+1 [tex]\leq[/tex] an + an+2
an+2 [tex]\geq[/tex] 2an+1 - an

How do I proceed? Ratio test?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
an = n would seem to be a counterexample.

Are you certain that this is correct?? Aren't there easy counterexamples?

I'm sorry. It should've been 2an instead of an. I've edited it above

What about the sequence

[tex]1,2,4,8,...,2^n,... [/tex]

MIT2014 said:
I'm sorry. It should've been 2an instead of an. I've edited it above

Use the subscript button X2 to do subscripts. Also the forum rules indicate you should not change a post that has already been replied to because it makes the discussion difficult to follow. Just correct it in the next post.

First, Caltech>MIT lol.

Also, I believe you'd have to assume that the sequence an is bounded to solve this problem.

So how would you use boundedness to prove convergence?

PS. MIT>CalTech

From your sequence and with a little algebra it can be shown that
[tex] a_n - a_{n-1} \leq a_{n+1} - a_n [/tex].

Your sequence may converge if the different between sucessive terms approaches zero. If you don't impose some further restrictions I don't think you can show that this thing converges.

If a_n is bounded then things may work out.

I don't think you have enough information in this problem.

if [itex] a_n - a_{n-1} \rightarrow 0 [/itex] then you have convergence.
But note that [itex] a_n - a_{n-1} [/itex] must be increasing to zero.

[tex] a_n [/tex] must be bounded but even more than that !

Edit
Something like ln(n) satisfies the condition of a_n - a_(n-1) increasing to zero but it does not converge since it is not bounded.

This question requires too many assumptions; something must be wrong with the question.

Last edited:
I'm not very good at this stuff, so guys tell me if I am wrong somewhere, but here it goes:

2an [tex]\leq[/tex] an-1 + an+1
Through rearrangement: an - an+1 [tex]\leq[/tex] an-1 - an

This means that the difference between successive terms is decreasing. Since an is decreasing, the differences must decrease to 0 (this is where I'm concerned, can you make that assumption? otherwise how would you do it?). Thus, there exists N so for any n[tex]\geq[/tex]N |a-an|<epsilon for any epsilon greater than 0. Thus, an must be a convergent sequence.

Hmm, I'm a bit skeptic. First of all, I see no reason to assume that it decreases to 0.
Secondly, take the sequence [tex]x_n=\sum_{k=1}^n{-\frac{1}{k}}[/tex]. Then the difference between consecutive terms also decrease to 0. Still the sequence diverges...

CalTech>MIT said:
I'm not very good at this stuff, so guys tell me if I am wrong somewhere, but here it goes:

2an [tex]\leq[/tex] an-1 + an+1
Through rearrangement: an - an+1 [tex]\leq[/tex] an-1 - an

This means that the difference between successive terms is decreasing. Since an is decreasing, the differences must decrease to 0 (this is where I'm concerned, can you make that assumption? otherwise how would you do it?). Thus, there exists N so for any n[tex]\geq[/tex]N |a-an|<epsilon for any epsilon greater than 0. Thus, an must be a convergent sequence.
:-)
It doesn't have to be decreasing to zero. Infact, I has to be increasing to zero.

Just becase the difference approches zero doesn't guarantee convergence. In my above post I gave the examply of the sequence a_n=ln(n).

1. What is a sequence problem set?

A sequence problem set is a series of questions or tasks that involve finding or creating a specific sequence of numbers or patterns. These types of problem sets are commonly used in mathematics and computer science to test a person's ability to recognize and manipulate sequences.

2. How do I approach solving a sequence problem set?

The best way to approach solving a sequence problem set is to first identify the type of sequence being used (e.g. arithmetic, geometric, etc.) and then look for any patterns or rules that can help you determine the next number in the sequence. It can also be helpful to create a chart or diagram to organize your findings.

3. What are some common strategies for solving sequence problems?

Some common strategies for solving sequence problems include identifying the type of sequence, looking for patterns and rules, using algebraic equations, creating a chart or diagram, and working backwards from the last number in the sequence.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should solve a sequence problem set?

There is no specific order in which you should solve a sequence problem set. It is up to the individual to determine the most efficient approach for solving the specific problem set. However, it is generally recommended to start with simpler problems and build up to more complex ones.

5. What are some real-life applications of sequence problem sets?

Sequence problem sets have many real-life applications, such as in computer programming, where they are used to create algorithms and code sequences. They are also used in data analysis and statistics to identify patterns and trends in data. Additionally, sequences are used in everyday life, such as in music, art, and sports, to create patterns and rhythms.