1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence problem

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1
    Hey guys:cool: , I need help for sum of a geometric sequence problem:

The first and second terms of a geometric sequence have a sum of 15, while the second and third terms have a sum of 60. Use an algebraic method to find the three terms.

This is what I have so far:

a + b + c
    a + b = 15
    b + c = 60
    a = a
    r = b/a
    S2 = 15 = a(1-(b/a)^2)/1-(b/a)
    S3 = 60 = a(1-(b/a)^3)/1-(b/a)

I then solved for a and b and got a = 3.75 and b = 11.25.

After knowing a and b, I find the common ratio: 3. But my numbers do not work for S3 because I got 48.75:grumpy: (Which, interestly enough is 11.25 away from 60:uhh: )

I'm really confused:confused: :cry:

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2
    Ok I just figured it out, lets get rid of the a, b, and c stuff and just deal with a and r. well you have 3 terms that differ by a power of r you have
    {ar0, ar1, ar2}

you know that

a + ar = 15

and that

ar + ar2 = 60

divide the second equation by 4 and you can then set the two equations equal to one another and you end up with a nice quadratic to find r.

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3
    thanks man:smile:
    it's actually so simple i never thought about that:blushing:
    thanks again:smile:

5. Feb 12, 2006 #4
    Yea it took me a bit to realize that too, and I felt so stupid because I almost immediately realized what the asnwers had to be but couldn't figure out how to derive them for a bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?