Solve Sequence Problem: (2n-1)/(3n^2 +1), n= 1,2,3,...

• Thread starter Physicsisfun2005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence and finding its limit. The method of using L'Hopital's rule is mentioned but deemed unnecessary, with the recommendation to use the standard method of dividing by the highest power of n. The conversation also clarifies the difference between a sequence and a series, and the appropriate test for each.
Physicsisfun2005
This seems like a simple problem...almost embarassed about it, but I can't figure it out:

Determine if the following sequence converges or diverges (2n-1)/(3n^2 +1), n= 1,2,3,... If the sequence converges, find its limit.

I think the series converges to 0...am i right? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the sequence converges to 0. Well, for one, why don't you just take the limit as n approaches infinity? Or, if you're not allowed to do that, show that the sequence only has positive numbers, and that it is decreasing (decreasing for all n > 2, in this case). Therefore it is bounded and monotone, hence convergent. Then assume that it converges to some small positive number e. Choose a natural number n > 2/(3e) and show that the sequence for this n is less than e. This gives a contradiction, showing that the sequence does not converge to any positive number, hence it must converge to 0.

sequence...opps yea......i did find the limit to get my answer using L' Hopital's rule...i was thinking this was the "nth term test" which cannot show convergence...only divergence...but then i realized this is a sequence and that test was for a series.

Last edited:
L'Hopital's rule seems like over-kill here. Standard method for dealing with fractions where n goes to infinity: Divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of n (here n2) so that every term involves (1/n) to a power. As n goes to infinity, that goes to 0.

1. What is the general formula for the sequence (2n-1)/(3n^2 +1)?

The general formula for the sequence is (2n-1)/(3n^2 +1), where n is any positive integer.

2. What is the first term of the sequence?

The first term of the sequence is when n=1, which gives us (2(1)-1)/(3(1)^2 +1) = 1/4.

3. What is the second term of the sequence?

The second term of the sequence is when n=2, which gives us (2(2)-1)/(3(2)^2 +1) = 3/13.

4. Can the sequence be simplified?

Yes, the sequence can be simplified. By factoring out a 2 from the numerator and denominator, we get 2n/(3n^2 +1/2) which can be further simplified to n/(3n^2 + 1/4).

5. Is there a pattern in the sequence?

Yes, there is a pattern in the sequence. As n increases, the numerator (2n-1) increases by 2 and the denominator (3n^2 + 1) increases by 9. This results in a decreasing fraction with a limit of 0 as n approaches infinity.