1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence proof (Hardish)

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/summands.png [Broken]

Even with the hint, I'm confused on what to use on this ? Any idea's ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

The summand to compare with is most probably: 1/n

4. May 22, 2012 #3
    Forget the hint for a second. It's a tad bit confusing (though you will see what they mean eventually).

Can you find an upper bound for each of the ##x_n##? A lower bound?

If that's not enough to get you started ... can you establish a ... relation ... between each of the "terms" of the ##x_n##?

5. May 22, 2012 #4

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

[itex]\frac{1}{n+1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(n+1)^2}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n+1}}[/itex] < [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}}[/itex] < [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]

In short, we've sandwiched [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}}[/itex] between [itex]\frac{1}{n+1}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]

6. May 23, 2012 #5
    OK. Not exactly what I was trying to get you to do, but we might be able to make it work.

Can you get similar bounds for the other terms? The ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2k}}## for ##1\leq k<n##?

While you're doing that, go ahead and figure out how many terms there are in ##x_n##.

7. May 23, 2012 #6
    Doesn't the sequence diverge?

note: n^2 + 2n ≤ 4n^2

so 1/sqrt(n^2+ 2n) ≥ 1/sqrt(4n^2) = 1/(2n). But the sum of 1/(2n) diverges.

8. May 23, 2012 #7
    The question clearly states that it converges to 1.
    So everything said till now makes no sense.

9. May 23, 2012 #8
    edit: see whats going on

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  10. May 23, 2012 #9
    Seconded. The series diverges. You can see it goes on increasing(>2) if you try with n>9, and the proof is right here.

Edit : I just realized my mistake. I took into consideration that the general term is

[itex]T_n = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^{2}+2n}}[/itex]

But the way the series is made, it will not have this as the general term. Gopher's method would work out best.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  11. May 23, 2012 #10
    I think that best solution (for me) is @gopher_p solution.

You know that:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+4}} + \cdots + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}}\le \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2}} + \cdots + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2}} = n\cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2}} =\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+2}}[/itex]

On the other hand

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+4}} + \cdots + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}}\ge \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}} + \cdots + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}} = n\cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}} =\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}}[/itex]

So, you have

[itex]\frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}} \le \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+4}} + \cdots + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+2n}}\le \frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+2}}[/itex]

12. May 23, 2012 #11
    Guy's this is a past exam paper question and it has come up twice. If it was a mistake it wouldn't have come up two times in exactly the same form.

On a side note this has come up in the sequences portion of the paper(we have separate sections for different topics on the paper's easier bit), dunno if that's a hint.

13. May 23, 2012 #12
    The question is correct, there is no mistake. Karamata almost gave you the solution, all you need to see is how the sandwich limits behave when n -> infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook