1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence proof

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let (Tn) be a bounded sequence and let (Sn) be a sequence whose limit = 0. PRove that the limit of (Tn*Sn) = 0. I must complete the proof using only the definition of a limit of a sequence

2. Relevant equations
    Let Sn be a sequence from N->R with a limit of s
    For all epsilon > 0 there exists an n > N, such that |Sn - s| < epsion
    The suprenum of a sequence is the least upper bound

3. The attempt at a solution

I am used to the numerical proofs showing limits I am not comfortable with manipulating these more abstract ones. I cannot solve for N so I am stuck but here is what I am working off of....

Since Tn is a bounded sequence, by the completeness axiom of R I know that a suprenum exisit and I call it U

Since Sn is a sequence that converges I know for epsilon > 0 there exist an n > N(For s) such that |Sn|< epsilon

I need to show that there is an N for any epsilon that implies |Sn*Tn - 0*U| < epsilon

I was debating proving that the Tn limit is the sup T then provoing the multiplaction of limits rule but that does not sound right there should be a direct method I need some hints on how to start this proof many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You cannot use that "Tn limit is the sup T then proving the multiplaction of limits rule" because you do not know that Tn has a limit. All you know about Tn is that it is bounded. For example, Tn= (-1)n is bounded but does not converge.

Since Tn is bounded, let M be an upper bound for |Tn|. Now you know that [itex]-MS_n\le T_nS_n\le MS_n[/itex]. Combine that with the fact that Sn converges to 0.

4. Sep 26, 2009 #3
    Thanks Halls for the response

Just so I got to close up the proof. I can say for a large N per the hypothesis Sn goes to zero so
    MSn and -MSn go to zero.
    It follows that SnTn goes to zero
    and since epsilon > 0 MSn < epsilon.
    am I done or is it more involved?

Am I right in saying for these more abstract sequence that you cannot really prove via the definition of a limit of a sequence. The goal is to show that something is less for any given epsilon?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook