1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence Prove

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    If( an) convergent sequence,prove that lim n goes to infinity an = lim n goes to infinity a2n+1.

I think a2n+1 is subsequence of (an ) and for this reason their limit is equal.

but ı don't know where and how to start..

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Your wording isn't very clear to me and doesn't make much sense. Is that exactly how the question appears in your book/notes?

4. May 1, 2012 #3

sharks

Gold Member

OK, your problem appears to be:
    [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n = \lim_{n\to\infty} a_{2n+1}[/tex]
    You are already told that [itex]a_n[/itex] converges, so you have to show that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_{2n+1}[/itex] also converges to the same limit.

Every subsequence of a convergent sequence is convergent, with the same limit. So, if [itex]a_n[/itex] converges, then [itex]a_{2n}[/itex] and [itex]a_{2n+1}[/itex] are convergent as well.

Let [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n = L[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_{2n} = \lim_{n\to\infty} a_{2n+1} = L[/itex]

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. May 1, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course the limit of a subsequence is the same as the limit of the sequence. But it looks to me like that's what you are trying to prove, albeit in a special case. So prove it from the basics. Write down an ##\epsilon - n## definition of what it means for the original sequence to have a limit, then write down the same kind of statement for what you need to prove. Use what you are given to get what you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook