1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence question.

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

i have that lim x_n=lim y_n=a
    and we have the sequence (x1,y1,x2,y2,....)
    i need to show that this sequence (let's call it a_n) converges to a.

well in order to prove it i know that if a_n has a unique partial limit then it converges to it to it, but how do i show here that it has a unique partial limit?
    i mean if we take the subsequences in the even places or the odd places then obviously those subsequences converges to the same a, but i need to show this is true for every subsequence, how to do it?
    thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you are making too much of this. Since xn converges to a, given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist N1 such that if n> N1 then [itex]|x_n-a|< \epsilon[/itex]. Since yn converges to a, given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist N2 such that if n> N1 then [itex]|y_n-a|< \epsilon[/itex].

What happens if you take N= max(N1, N2)?

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

yes i see your point.
    if we take the max of the indexes then from there, we have that either way a_n equals x_n or y_n, and thus also a_n converges to a, cause from the maximum of the indexes both the inequalities are applied and thus also |a_n-a|<e, right?

5. Nov 15, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook