1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence question

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    Here's the question:
    If {sn} is oscillating and not bounded, and {tn} is bounded, then {sn+tn} is oscillating and not bounded.
    True or False?

I have tried for a while to find a counterexample, but I can't. I am leaning towards saying that this is true....but then I have to prove it. Am I correct in saying that it's true?
    I have also started trying to prove it, but I'm having a hard time. Any clarification or advice will be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

{sn} is not bounded, and let's say that it's not bounded above in particular. Let t be inf{tn}. Then (sn + tn) > (sn + t) for all n, so if {sn + t} is not bounded above, then neither is {sn + tn}. But if {sn + t} is bounded, then there is some K such that sn + t < K for all n, so sn < K - t for all n, so {sn} is bounded above, contradiction.
  4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help. I was trying to prove it directly and I wound up with a bunch of nonsense. I understand the problem now, and I have worked the other 3 that were giving me headaches.
  5. Sep 27, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, precisely, do you mean by "oscillating"? I have seen it used to mean that terms alternate sign or simply to mean that sn-1< sn but sn> sn+1.
  6. Oct 6, 2005 #5
    Our definition of oscillating is a sequence that diverges but not to + infinity or - infinity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?