Finding the Sum of an Alternating Geometric Sequence

If you set ##n = 2##, then your formula gives ##S = 3/4##. So, the sum of the first 4 terms is -1/2 + 3/4 = 1/4.In summary, the conversation discusses a geometric sequence with alternating signs and the search for a general formula for its sum. The solution is found by splitting the sequence into two smaller sequences and using the formula ## \frac{1}{4}((-1)^{n}3^{n+1}+1)## to obtain the sum for both odd and even values of n. The formula is verified by plugging in n = 1 and n = 2 to find the sum of the
Sarah00
Hi!

If I have a sequence that its first 4 terms are:

30, -31, +32, -32

The pattern is geometric sequence but has alternating signs..

How can I find its sum ..

I know it is composed of 2 sequences ..

However, when I try to separate the 2 sequences .. I get them of different "lengths"

In other words, it is (30+32+34) - (31+33) for 5 terms

but for 4 terms I get:
In other words, it is (30+32) - (31+33)How can I get general formula for both ..

(-1)k helps ! but how! and what about the number of termsThanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Further to my previous post ..

screenshot_158.png

This is the book's answer:
screenshot_158.png

When ##n## is odd that is ##n=2m+1## you obtain ## \frac{1}{4}(-3^{2m+1}+1)##, when is even ##n=2m## you obtain ## \frac{1}{4}(3^{2m+1}+1)##. In order to obtain both you must have ## \frac{1}{4}((-1)^{n}3^{n+1}+1)## (this is obtained merging the two previous...)

Sarah00 said:
Further to my previous post ..

screenshot_158.png

If you set ##n = 1##, then your formula gives ##S = -1/2##

1. What is an alternating geometric sequence?

An alternating geometric sequence is a series of numbers where the sign alternates between positive and negative, and each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio.

2. How do you find the sum of an alternating geometric sequence?

To find the sum of an alternating geometric sequence, you can use the formula S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. Alternatively, you can also use the formula S = (a - ar^n) / (1 - r), where n is the number of terms.

3. Can you give an example of an alternating geometric sequence?

One example of an alternating geometric sequence is (-3, 6, -12, 24, -48, ...), where the first term is -3, and the common ratio is -2.

4. What is the difference between an alternating geometric sequence and a regular geometric sequence?

The main difference between an alternating geometric sequence and a regular geometric sequence is that in an alternating sequence, the sign changes between positive and negative, while in a regular sequence, the sign remains the same for all terms.

5. Can the sum of an alternating geometric sequence be infinite?

Yes, the sum of an alternating geometric sequence can be infinite if the common ratio is greater than 1 or less than -1. In this case, the sequence will continue to alternate between positive and negative terms, and the sum will continue to increase or decrease without reaching a finite value.