1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences and limits

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] x_{n}(t) \left\{\begin{array}{cc}nt,&\mbox{ if }
    0\leq t \leq \frac{1}{n}\\ \frac{1}{nt} & \mbox{ if } \frac{1}{n}\leq t \leq 1 \end{array}\right. [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone help me get started finding the limit as n -> inf? I've never taken the limit of a sequence that has such a dependence on t.

For t in [0, (1/n)], the values of the sequence will range between 0 and 1, and for t in [(1/n),1], the values will range between 0 and 1 as well. It doesn't really matter how large you take n...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick a fixed x0 in [0,1] and think about limit x_n(x0) as n->infinity. If x0 is not zero there is always an N>0 such that 1/N<x0. That means for all n>N the definition of x_n(x0) is 1/(n*x0). What's the limit at x0?

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3
    What do you mean by pick and x0? You mean, pick a t0?

5. Feb 1, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

t0, x0 whatever. Sure, call the point t0 if you want.

6. Feb 1, 2010 #5
    How about Alfred? Anyway, I think I got what you are saying. No matter what your choice for t, this function will merge to 0 as n -> inf.

thank you for your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?