Solve Sequences & Limits Homework: Find Limit of z_n

And if you know the starting sequences are related by a linear transformation then you know the generated sequences are related in the same way. So if you know the result for one starting sequence then you can derive the results for any other starting sequence by the same linear transformation. And now you know that the transformation is linear, you can find the result for any starting sequence by linearly combining the base results.So you only need to find the results for the sequences with a single 1 and the rest zeroes.The solution simply evaluates the ##\lim_{n→∞} y_n## as ##\displaystyle \frac{\sum_{n=1}^{31} n^2}{\sum_{n=1}^{
Saitama

Homework Statement

Let ##x_k=k## for ##k \leq 31## and ##\displaystyle x_{k+1}=\frac{x_1+x_2+...x_k}{k}## for ##k \geq 31##. Also let ##y_k=x_k## for ##k \leq 31## and ##\displaystyle y_{k+1}=\frac{y_k+y_{k-1}+...y_{k-30}}{31}## for ##k \geq 31##. Now if ##z_k=y_k-x_k## for all ##k ε N##. Find ##\lim_{n→∞} z_n##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that ##x_{k+1}=x_{k+2}=...=16##, so the question reduces to
[tex]\displaystyle \lim_{n→∞} z_n=y_n-16[/tex]
I am having trouble finding ##\lim_{n→∞}=y_n##.

I plugged in some numbers in the expression of ##y_k## starting k=31.
When k=31, ##y_{32}=16##.
When k=32, ##y_{33}=\frac{15+16*31}{31}##
The next terms go even more big. I am stuck here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is an interesting sequence. Numerical calculations suggest a nice result, but I don't know how to prove it.
It is easy to show the existence of a limit.

Edit: It is possible to prove a way more general result for the limits (for all starting sequences) - your example follows as one special case of this.
That is a very nice problem!

Last edited:
mfb said:
Edit: It is possible to prove a way more general result for the limits (for all starting sequences) - your example follows as one special case of this.
That is a very nice problem!

Can I have some hints for that? :rolleyes:

You can look at some examples (in a spreadsheet, with a programming language or whatever), and try to find this general formula.

Hint: The whole system is linear.

mfb said:
You can look at some examples (in a spreadsheet, with a programming language or whatever), and try to find this general formula.

Hint: The whole system is linear.

I can't use any devices to solve this because this question is from my test paper and I suppose there should be a way of doing this without the help of computer.

And what do you mean by that the system is linear? :confused:

There is a way to prove it with pen and paper, but a computer certainly helps to get the right idea.

Anyway:
And what do you mean by that the system is linear? :confused:
All y_k (apart from the first 31) can be written as sum of the first 31 y_i with some weights: ##y_k = \sum_{i=1}{31} w_{ki}y_i##.
Those weights are bounded, if you take the limit of y_k you can split it in 31 individual limits and get 31 k-independent weights:
$$\lim_{k \to \infty}y_k = \sum_{i=1}^{31} w_{i}y_i$$

That is not limited to the first 31 elements - every other set of 31 adjacent elements in your sequence has to give the same limit. You can use this to determine the weights.

Sorry for the late reply mfb.

mfb said:
All y_k (apart from the first 31) can be written as sum of the first 31 y_i with some weights: ##y_k = \sum_{i=1}{31} w_{ki}y_i##.
Those weights are bounded, if you take the limit of y_k you can split it in 31 individual limits and get 31 k-independent weights:
$$\lim_{k \to \infty}y_k = \sum_{i=1}^{31} w_{i}y_i$$

That is not limited to the first 31 elements - every other set of 31 adjacent elements in your sequence has to give the same limit. You can use this to determine the weights.

I am having some difficulty understanding as I have never seen this type of way for solving problems.

Can you tell me what is the upper bound of the first summation you wrote: ##y_k = \sum_{i=1}{31} w_{ki}y_i## ? And what does "Those weights are bounded" mean? :confused:

The solution simply evaluates the ##\lim_{n→∞} y_n## as ##\displaystyle \frac{\sum_{n=1}^{31} n^2}{\sum_{n=1}^{31} n}##. It is stated without proof. :(

Can you tell me what is the upper bound of the first summation you wrote
I don't see how this is relevant.

You can prove that, if the first n elements can be written as such a sum, element n+1 can be written with such a sum as well. The first 31 elements can be written like that. By induction, every element can be written in that way. In addition, you can get the conditions 0<w_i and sum(w_i)=1 in the induction - bounded weights.
That is a general way to express this:
Pranav-Arora said:
The next terms go even more big.
No matter how complicated the terms get, they are always a linear function of the first 31 elements.

It is stated without proof. :(
That is bad, but it is possible to prove it.

Pranav-Arora said:
I am having some difficulty understanding as I have never seen this type of way for solving problems.
Maybe it's clearer if you look at it this way...
Suppose the first 31 terms were 1, 0, 0... That would generate some sequence for terms 32 onwards. 0, 1, 0, 0... would generate some other sequence. And if the first 31 were 1, 1, 0, 0, ... then the generated sequence would be the sum of the first two. So if you knew what each of the starting sequences with a single 1 and the rest zeroes generated then you could derive the result of any other starting sequence by adding multiples of these base ones. Likewise the limits.

1. What is a sequence in mathematics?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. In mathematics, sequences are often represented using the notation z_n, where n is the term number. For example, the sequence 2, 4, 6, 8, ... can be written as z_n = 2n.

2. What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a sequence approaches as the term number increases. It is denoted by lim z_n or lim z_n = L, where L is the limit value. Essentially, it is the maximum or minimum value that a sequence can reach.

3. How do I find the limit of a sequence?

To find the limit of a sequence, you need to examine the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. If the sequence follows a specific pattern, then the limit can be determined by plugging in larger and larger numbers for n. If the sequence does not follow a specific pattern, then you may need to use more advanced techniques such as the squeeze theorem or the Cauchy criterion to find the limit.

4. Why is finding limits important?

Finding limits is important in mathematics as it helps to understand the behavior and properties of sequences. It also has applications in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Limits can also be used to solve problems involving infinite series and calculus.

5. Are there any common mistakes when finding limits of sequences?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can occur when finding limits of sequences. Some of these include not considering the behavior of the sequence at infinity, not checking for convergence or divergence, and not using the correct notation for the limit. It is important to carefully analyze the sequence and use proper techniques to avoid these mistakes.