1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences and Series Help

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    This was the extra credit question on a quiz I had today, I am very anxious to find out the answer.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the apparent Nth term of the sequence
    2,-5,10,-17 ...... n

2. Relevant equations

Not sure really on this
    an = .....

3. The attempt at a solution

The sequence starts with 2 and then increases by sequential odd numbers and alternates positive and negative.

Thanks very much
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As far as I can tell, your answer is correct. Nice Job!
  4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    Actually I was thinking about it and my answer is only correct for the first two terms, after that it's in accurate, the real answer is

1+n^2 , I'm hoping that my teacher is swamped with grading and will only check the first two terms.
  5. Apr 27, 2007 #4
    you forgot the (-1)^(n-1) part.
    And your original answer does not wort even for the first two terms, just for the first one.

when u take n=2 you will get

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  6. Apr 27, 2007 #5
    It looks to me like the nth term is the sum of the first n primes times (-1 raised to the power of n+1)
  7. Apr 28, 2007 #6
    Im positive my answer works for the first two

(2+(4-1)) * (-1)^(2-1) = -5
  8. Apr 28, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But that's not what you wrote! In your first post you wrote
    (n)+(2n-1)*(-1)^(n-1) where the (-1)^(n-1) is multiplied only by the second term, not the first.

In any case, "correct for 2 terms" is still not good enough. For the three terms given, I see"subtract 7, then add 5, then subtract seven, then add five, ..."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?