Proof by Induction: Proving the Sum of Squares Identity

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by induction, where the first part involves checking the statement for a low value of n and the second part involves assuming the statement is true for all values less than or equal to n and showing it must also be true for n + 1. An example of this technique is given for the statement \sum_{r = 1}^n r = \frac12 n (n + 1) and the conversation also mentions using this technique to prove the identity for \sum_{r = 1}^n r^2.
fluppocinonys
op4t2w.jpg

10yglz8.gif

504eg9.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one I suggest a proof by induction.
It's easy to check that the direct formula holds for the case n = 1. Now suppose that for all [itex]k \le n[/itex], it is true that
[tex]u_k = 3 \left( \frac{1}{5} \right)^n - 1 [/tex].
Then use the recursive definition to show that
[tex]u_{n + 1} = 3 \left( \frac{1}{5} \right)^{n + 1} - 1 [/tex].For 2: What is [itex]r^3 - (r - 1)^3[/itex] ?

Let's start with those two, shall we?

Just a note:

[tex]
\sum_{r=1}^n r^3 = \left[\frac{n(n+1)^2} 2\right]
[/tex]

is not correct, so trying to do the second portion with this won't work. You should have

[tex]
\sum_{r=1}^n r^3 = \left[\frac{n(n+1)}2\right]^2
[/tex]

Thanks for the replies, I have a typo error on Question 2, which should be
[tex]{\left[ {\frac{{n\left( {n + 1} \right)}}{2}} \right]^2}[/tex] , thanks for correcting me.

Here are my attempts,
zlzzvc.gif

But I don't quite understand your explanation on qn 1...

Can you write down that "proof" a bit more clearly? Because I have no idea what it is you were doing there.

For the first one, I suggested a proof by induction. Have you seen that technique before?

CompuChip said:
Can you write down that "proof" a bit more clearly? Because I have no idea what it is you were doing there.

For the first one, I suggested a proof by induction. Have you seen that technique before?

Which proof are you referring to? My attempts on question 2?
And I've not seen that technique before, please guide me thanks.

Ah, never mind, I wasn't quite awake reading your post. I was indeed referring to your attempt on question 2, but now that I've read it a second time it makes sense.

Proof by induction is a very powerful proof technique that you should learn sooner or later. So it might as well be now. The idea is as follows.
You have some statement which contains one integer variable, n. First you show that the statement is true for some low n, like n = 0 or n = 1. Then you do the induction step: you assume that it is true for all values less than or equal to n and then you show that it must be true for n + 1.

Let me first give you an example.
Statement:
[tex]\sum_{r = 1}^n r = \frac12 n (n + 1)[/tex]​

Proof:
Part I (the base case). First we check the statement for n = 1. On the left hand side, we have the sum from r = 1 to 1 over r, which is 1. On the right hand side, we get 1/2 * 1 * 2 = 1. So it's true. If you want you can also cover some more cases n = 2, 3, ... although n = 1 is enough.

Part II: (The induction step). Let's assume that the statement is true, for all k less than or equal to some specific and fixed n. This is called the induction hypothesis. We must show that it is then also true for n + 1. Well, splitting off the last term,
[tex]\sum_{r = 1}^{n + 1} r = (n + 1) + \sum_{r = 1}^n r \stackrel{\text{I.H.}}{=} (n + 1) + \frac12 n (n + 1) = \frac12 (n + 1) (n + 2).[/tex]
Note the equality marked with "I.H." - there I have used the induction hypothesis for k = n.

Explanation: The proof is finished. Now why have we proven the statement? Let's see: we have checked that it is true for n = 1 by hand, so it holds for n = 1. We have shown in the second part of the proof, that if it holds for n = 1, then it also holds for n = 2. Since it does hold for n = 1, it holds for n = 2. We have shown that if it holds for n = 1 and n = 2, which it does, then it holds for n = 3. So it holds for n = 1, 2 and 3. But then it also holds for n = 4. And so on. For every value of n you can apply such a reasoning, showing that by applying the induction step (part II) to the base case (part I) the statement is true.
So, it is true for any value of n like you wanted.

This seems like a strange way of proving something at first (at first sight, it may seem that we are assuming what we want to prove in part II, although this is not true if you look carefully) but it's very useful. So scrutinize my proof again, and if you feel like it, try it on your first question.

Or if you need a test case, you can again try proving the identity for
[tex]\sum_{r = 1}^n r^2[/tex]
from exercise 2, using a proof by induction.

1. What are sequences and series problems?

Sequences and series problems are mathematical problems that involve finding a pattern or formula for a sequence or series of numbers. A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern, while a series is the sum of a sequence of numbers.

2. How do you find the next term in a sequence?

The next term in a sequence can be found by identifying the pattern and applying it to the next term. This can involve adding or subtracting a constant number, multiplying or dividing by a constant number, or using a more complex formula.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence in which each term is obtained by adding a constant number to the previous term. A geometric sequence is a sequence in which each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number. In an arithmetic sequence, the difference between consecutive terms is constant, while in a geometric sequence, the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

4. How do you find the sum of a finite arithmetic or geometric series?

The sum of a finite arithmetic series can be found by using the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, and a1 and an are the first and last terms of the series. The sum of a finite geometric series can be found by using the formula Sn = a1((1-r^n)/(1-r)), where Sn is the sum, a1 is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.

5. How can sequences and series problems be applied in real life?

Sequences and series problems can be applied in various fields such as finance, physics, and computer science. For example, in finance, the compound interest formula is a geometric series formula used to calculate the future value of an investment. In physics, the equations of motion for uniformly accelerated motion can be represented as arithmetic sequences. In computer science, algorithms use sequences and series to efficiently perform calculations and solve problems.