Solve Sequences and Series: Total Distance 480m

In summary, the problem is to find the number of potatoes for a potato race where a straight line is marked on the ground and each point on the line is 2 meters apart, with a potato placed at each point. The runner must start at point A and bring each potato back to the basket at point A. The total distance run during the race must be 480 meters. The equations used to solve this problem are A) S = n/2 [2a + (n - 1) d] and B) S = n/2 [ first term + last term]. However, equation B is not needed as the common difference is already given as 2 in the original description. By plugging in numbers into equation A
locked.on
Any guidance or worked solutions would be appreciated

Homework Statement

For a potato race, a straight line is marked on the ground from a point A, and points B,C,D,... are marked on the line so that AB = BC = CD = ... = 2 metres. A potato is placed at each of the points B,C,D,...

A runner has to start from A and bring each potato by a separate journey back to a basket at A. Find the number of potatoes so that the total distance run during the race will be 480 metres.

Homework Equations

A) S = n/2 [2a + (n - 1) d]
B) S = n/2 [ first term + last term]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can calculate the answer by listing out the distances covered in successive trips to obtain the required distance. However, I am unable to show relevant working and this method will not work for larger sequences.

*Tn* = 2n(n+1), where *Tn* is the 'n' th term in the sequence.

The problem is I can't find a relevant equation for the common difference, let's say, *d*.

*d* = 4(n+1) ?

I can't use equation B) as the common difference is not a constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't use equation B) as the common difference is not a constant.

The original description already gave the common difference of 2 for each term in the sequence.

symbolipoint said:
The original description already gave the common difference of 2 for each term in the sequence.
Actually, it's 4, because the runner starts at A, goes to one of the points to get a potato, and run back to A. To get the potato at point B the runner runs 4 meters, to get the potato at point C the runner runs 8 meters, etc.

OP: you don't need equation B at all. Equation A is actually a combination of equation B and the rule to find the nth term of a sequence: [tex]a_{n}=a_{1} + (n{-}1)d[/tex]. Just plug in numbers into equation A and solve. (I got 15 potatoes; hope that's what you got.)

1. What is a sequence and series in mathematics?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. A series is the sum of a sequence of terms.

2. How do you solve for the total distance in a sequence or series?

In order to find the total distance in a sequence or series, you must first find the pattern or rule of the sequence. Then, you can use the formula for the sum of a finite geometric series or arithmetic series to find the total distance.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

In an arithmetic sequence, the difference between each term is constant. In a geometric sequence, the ratio between each term is constant.

4. How do you find the sum of a finite arithmetic or geometric series?

The formula for the sum of a finite arithmetic series is Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term. The formula for the sum of a finite geometric series is Sn = a1(1-r^n)/(1-r), where n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. Can the total distance in a sequence or series be negative?

No, the total distance in a sequence or series cannot be negative as it represents a physical distance or measurement which is always positive.