1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences and Series

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1
    Any guidance or worked solutions would be appreciated

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a potato race, a straight line is marked on the ground from a point A, and points B,C,D,... are marked on the line so that AB = BC = CD = ... = 2 metres. A potato is placed at each of the points B,C,D,...

A runner has to start from A and bring each potato by a separate journey back to a basket at A. Find the number of potatoes so that the total distance run during the race will be 480 metres.

2. Relevant equations

A) S = n/2 [2a + (n - 1) d]
    B) S = n/2 [ first term + last term]

3. The attempt at a solution

I can calculate the answer by listing out the distances covered in successive trips to obtain the required distance. However, I am unable to show relevant working and this method will not work for larger sequences.

*Tn* = 2n(n+1), where *Tn* is the 'n' th term in the sequence.

The problem is I can't find a relevant equation for the common difference, let's say, *d*.

*d* = 4(n+1) ?

I can't use equation B) as the common difference is not a constant.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The original description already gave the common difference of 2 for each term in the sequence.
  4. Dec 28, 2008 #3
    Actually, it's 4, because the runner starts at A, goes to one of the points to get a potato, and run back to A. To get the potato at point B the runner runs 4 meters, to get the potato at point C the runner runs 8 meters, etc.

OP: you don't need equation B at all. Equation A is actually a combination of equation B and the rule to find the nth term of a sequence: [tex]a_{n}=a_{1} + (n{-}1)d[/tex]. Just plug in numbers into equation A and solve. (I got 15 potatoes; hope that's what you got.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?