Solving Sequences and Series Problems - Struggling!

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to improper integrals and series convergence. The first question involves using the integral test to determine the convergence of a series and find its value. The second question involves using the limit comparison test to determine the convergence of a series. The third question involves using the ratio test to find the interval of convergence for a series. The conversation also includes discussion on integration by parts and substitution.
ProPatto16
Struggling with this topic! :(
got a couple of questions.

Homework Statement

1) Determine the value of the improper integral when using the integral test to show that
[tex]\sum[/tex]k/(e^k/5) is convergant
given answers are
a)50/e
b)-1/(5e^1/5)
c)5
d)5e
e)1/50e

2) determine whether [tex]\sum[/tex] (n+5)/(n^3-2n+3) is convergant or divergant

3) find interval of convergance of the series [tex]\sum[/tex]5(x-3)^n

The Attempt at a Solution

1) by integral test, f(x) = k/(e^k/5) = ke^(-k/5)
and the integral of that is [-1/5*ke^(-k/5)] -1/5*e^(-k/5).. that's integration by parts. so that's the imporper integral?
i don't know how to relate that to any of the answers

2) i multiplied top and bottom by n^2 and then limit of 1/n and all varieties is 0 so i end up with lim 0+0/n-0+0=0 so converges... i just needa check if that's right?

3) i have nothing in my textbooks about finding intevals. i don't know where to even start.

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
1) What is the initial index of the sum? That should determine the lower limit of integration for the corresponding improper integral. Also there are multiple errors in your integration by parts (including not bothering to write out the integral sign for the second term). My advice is to make the substitution u = x/5 to avoid confusion.

2) No, showing that the limit of the terms is 0 does not show that the series converges. Use the limit comparison test.

3) Use the ratio test.

ill try those tests for 2 and 3... part one i got from a similar answer int he textbook... fromt he answers textbook... it shows the integral of xe^-x.dx to be (-xe^-x) - (e^-x) so i just wnet off that subbing in the 1/5 fraction. i really have no idea how to integrate that. it just says in brackets that its done by parts. that function given in the question is continuous on interval [1,infinity) which makes the lower limit 1 yes? this questions got me so lost. don't stress much about the correct terminology for the integration. i can work all that out. i just kinda need to know which part of the solution is the imporper integral. i thought it was just the integral of f(x) when f(x) = an??

1. What are sequences and series in mathematics?

Sequences and series are sets of numbers that are arranged according to a specific pattern or rule. A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific order, while a series is the sum of all the numbers in a sequence.

2. How do I identify a sequence or series problem?

A sequence or series problem will typically involve a set of numbers or terms with a specific pattern or rule. You may be asked to find the next term in a sequence or the sum of a series. These problems can also be identified by keywords such as "sequence," "series," or "pattern" in the question.

3. How can I solve a sequence or series problem?

To solve a sequence or series problem, you will need to identify the pattern or rule and use it to find the missing term or sum. This may involve finding the common difference or ratio in a sequence, or using a formula to find the sum of a series.

4. What are some common strategies for solving sequence and series problems?

Some common strategies for solving sequence and series problems include identifying the pattern or rule, using a formula, drawing a diagram or visual representation, and looking for relationships between terms in the sequence or series.

5. What are some tips for struggling with sequence and series problems?

If you are struggling with sequence and series problems, try breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Make sure to carefully read the problem and identify all given information. It can also be helpful to work backwards from the desired outcome and check your answer to ensure it fits the given pattern or rule.