Sequences and Series exercises text

In summary, sequences and series are mathematical concepts involving a list or pattern of numbers that follow a specific rule or formula. A sequence is a list of numbers while a series is the sum of a sequence of numbers. There are various methods to determine the next term in a sequence, such as using arithmetic or geometric formulas, identifying patterns, or using recursive formulas. These concepts have practical applications in finance, engineering, and computer science. To improve skills in solving sequences and series exercises, practice and understanding of underlying concepts and formulas are key, and seeking help from resources or a tutor can be beneficial.
medwatt
Hello,
In Calculus 2, sequences and series are introduced and do I have to say that most of the examples are trivial and even the exercises are either trivial or those that require experience. I hope someone can suggest a book where one can learn solving not-so-obvious series problems that might be convoluted and also provide techniques how to compare series.
Thank You.
PS- I am sorry to be posting this in the wrong section but was unable to do so in the books section.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are sequences and series?

Sequences and series are mathematical concepts that involve a list or pattern of numbers that follow a specific rule or formula.

2. What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers while a series is the sum of a sequence of numbers. In other words, a series is the result of adding the terms of a sequence together.

3. How do I determine the next term in a sequence?

There are many different ways to determine the next term in a sequence, depending on the specific pattern or rule that the sequence follows. Some common methods include using arithmetic or geometric formulas, identifying a repeating pattern, or using a recursive formula.

4. What are some real-world applications of sequences and series?

Sequences and series have many practical applications in fields such as finance, engineering, and computer science. For example, in finance, sequences and series are used to calculate compound interest and stock market trends. In engineering, they are used to model and predict physical processes. In computer science, they are used in algorithms and data structures.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving sequences and series exercises?

The best way to improve your skills in solving sequences and series exercises is through practice. Start with simpler exercises and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It's also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and formulas used in sequences and series, and to seek help from a tutor or online resources if needed.