1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences and Series

1. Jul 4, 2005 #1
    I need to determine whether Sigma [sin(1/x)] for x=1 to x=infinity converges or diverges. I have a feeling that it diverges, but I don't know how to prove it.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Use the limit comparison test, with the harmonic series [itex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} [/itex]

4. Jul 4, 2005 #3
    Thanks Cyclovenom, I took [tex]\frac{sin(1/x)}{1/x}[/tex] and did the limit as x approaches infinity with L Hopital's rule, but I got 0, so doesn't that make it inconclusive?

Thanks

5. Jul 4, 2005 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Your result throught L'Hospital is wrong, it will be 1, and sice 1 > 0, and this harmonic series diverges, then sin (1/x) diverges.

Alternatively you could consider [itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 [/itex]

6. Jul 4, 2005 #5
    hello there

just use the integral test

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sin{\frac{1}{n}} \le \int_{1}^{\infty}\sin{\frac{1}{x}}dx \not< \infty [/tex]

its not finite and so does not converge

steven

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?