Sigma [sin(1/x)] for x=1 to ∞: Converge or Diverge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence or divergence of the series Sigma [sin(1/x)] for x=1 to x=infinity, with one person suggesting the use of the limit comparison test with the harmonic series. Another person mentions using L'Hospital's rule, but the result is inconclusive. Finally, the suggestion of using the integral test is brought up, with the conclusion that the series does not converge.
Phoenix314
I need to determine whether Sigma [sin(1/x)] for x=1 to x=infinity converges or diverges. I have a feeling that it diverges, but I don't know how to prove it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the limit comparison test, with the harmonic series [itex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} [/itex]

Thanks Cyclovenom, I took [tex]\frac{sin(1/x)}{1/x}[/tex] and did the limit as x approaches infinity with L Hopital's rule, but I got 0, so doesn't that make it inconclusive?

Thanks

Your result throught L'Hospital is wrong, it will be 1, and sice 1 > 0, and this harmonic series diverges, then sin (1/x) diverges.

Alternatively you could consider [itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 [/itex]

hello there

just use the integral test

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sin{\frac{1}{n}} \le \int_{1}^{\infty}\sin{\frac{1}{x}}dx \not< \infty [/tex]

its not finite and so does not converge

steven

1. What is the definition of "Sigma [sin(1/x)] for x=1 to ∞"?

The sigma notation (Σ) represents the summation of a series of terms, in this case, sin(1/x) for values of x ranging from 1 to infinity.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

To determine convergence or divergence, we can use the limit comparison test, where we compare the given series to a known series with known convergence or divergence. We can also use the ratio test or the comparison test to determine convergence or divergence.

3. What is the limit of the series "Sigma [sin(1/x)] for x=1 to ∞"?

The limit of this series does not exist, as sin(1/x) oscillates between -1 and 1 as x approaches infinity. Therefore, the series diverges.

4. Can you provide a graph to illustrate the behavior of "Sigma [sin(1/x)] for x=1 to ∞"?

Yes, the graph of this series would show a series of peaks and valleys that become more frequent and closer together as x approaches infinity, but the values never reach a specific number or approach a horizontal line, indicating divergence.

5. Are there any other methods to determine convergence or divergence for this series?

Yes, we can also use the integral test, where we compare the series to an improper integral. If the integral converges, then the series also converges. We can also use the alternating series test, where we check if the series alternates between positive and negative terms and if the terms approach zero as n approaches infinity.