1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences/exponential function question help

1. May 29, 2009 #1
    So we are currently doing sequences ie discrete functions for my functions class, and i came across this problem

The value of a new sports utility vehicle depreciates at a rate of 8%
    per year. If the vehicle was bought for $45 000, when is it worth less than 40%
    of its original value?

now i tried to use it sequential wise, but it failed me.
    I then tried to solve it using exponential functions way, that too was a failure -_-

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does "use it sequential wise" mean? Show your work so we can see where you went wrong and help you out.

4. May 29, 2009 #3
    well heres what i did using exponential functions

T(n)=45 000(0.92)^n
    40% of 45 000 is 18 000
    so
    18 000=45 000(0.92)^n
    18000/45000=0.92^n

this is the point where i am stuck at. I cannot use logarithmic to solve this due to the fact that the curriculumn shifted it till next year.

Using my current knowledg of sequences this is what i got

tn=45000(0.92)^n-1
    which is very similiar too my exponential way ,but... looks wrong, and i don't know how to go from there:/

5. May 29, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is correct. Are you sure you're not allowed to use logarithms?

6. May 29, 2009 #5
    yes, I live in ontario, Canada ,and teacher wants us not to use logarithmic because of curriculumn changes. However, we are in the discrete functions unit, and therefore it kinda insininuates us to find the answer using recursive,arithmetic, and.or geometric sequences using their general form.Anyway, The answer seems to be around 11 ish; however, how do u find that without doing logarithmic?

7. May 29, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If for some reason you're not allowed to use logarithms, you could use a calculator to calculate .92n for various values of n, stopping when you get close enough to 18/45 = 2/5 = .4

EDIT: Fix silly arithmetic error.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook