Sequences: Monotones, Supermum, Infimum, Min & Max, and Convergence Explained

• Thread starter mmoadi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the given sequence is decreasing and can be proven by showing that a(n+1) ≤ an for all terms in the sequence. The sequence is defined as (1/n)^2 and the terms are getting smaller with each increase in n. To determine if the sequence is monotonic, supermum and infimum, minimum and maximum, and convergent, further analysis and calculations are needed.
mmoadi

Homework Statement

For the sequence (see picture), explore its monotones, define supermum and infimum, minimum and maximum, and find if the sequence is convergent. If the sequence is convergent, find form where on the terms of this sequence differ from the limit for less than ε = 0.01.

The Attempt at a Solution

a1= 1
a2= 1/4
a3= 1/9
a4= 1/16
a5= 1/25

Concussion: the sequence is decreasing.

Prove:
a(n+1) ≤ an
(1/n+1)^n ≤ (1/n)^n
(1/n+1)^n – (1/n)^n ≤ 0

Since (1/n+1)^n will always be smaller than (1/n)^n, I concluded that the left side will always be smaller than 0. I think this is the prove that the sequence is decreasing.

Now, I stuck. How do you know if the the sequence is monotonic, how can I define supermum and infimum, min and max? And how can I prove if it is convergent or not?

Attachments

• Sequence1.bmp
    21.5 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
From the terms you give, your sequence appears to be (1/n)2, not (1/n)n. The argument you gave in your limit has to be adjusted for this.

Ooops, my bad. It was a typo. It should be like this:

a1= 1
a2= 1/4
a3= 1/27
a4= 1/256
a5= 1/3125

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number or object in the sequence is called a term.

2. How do I find the next term in a sequence?

To find the next term in a sequence, you can look for a pattern or rule that the sequence follows. You can also use a formula or equation to calculate the next term.

3. What are arithmetic and geometric sequences?

Arithmetic sequences are sequences in which each term is found by adding a constant number to the previous term. Geometric sequences are sequences in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number.

4. How can I determine if a sequence is arithmetic or geometric?

You can determine if a sequence is arithmetic or geometric by looking at the difference between each term. If the difference is constant, then the sequence is arithmetic. If the ratio between each term is constant, then the sequence is geometric.

5. Why are sequences important?

Sequences play a crucial role in mathematics and other fields of science. They help us understand patterns and relationships, make predictions, and solve problems. Sequences are also used in real-life applications such as finance, computer science, and engineering.