1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences HELP

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    Sequences HELP!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the sequence Cn = [(-1)^n * 1/n!]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is an example in my book but I am not understanding it....

It says to find 2 convergent sequences that can be related to the given sequence. 2 possibilities are An = -1/2^n and Bn = 1/2^n
    where are they getting this from??
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2
    When trying to determine if a sequence converges it needs to approach a certain number. By pluging in numbers for the value of n you'll notice that

Cn = [(-1)^n * 1/n!]

will jump back and fourth between positive and negative values, and therefore isn't approaching a single value. You then need to find a graph both above and below that sequence that converge, you do this by the squeeze theorem.

If you graph all three of those sequences you'll notice that Cn = [(-1)^n * 1/n!] lies in-between. You can therefore say that because

converge, the value in-between them converges also. What would that be the?
  4. Apr 7, 2008 #3
    but how do you come up with 1/2^n and -1/2^n?? The value would be 0?
  5. Apr 7, 2008 #4
    Yes all the values converge to zero. I really don't like to use the squeeze theorem, whenever I have to use it it's just by trial and error.

There should however be another theorem which relates to sequences that jump back and fourth. It's called the Absolute Value Theorem, which would allow you to more easily find the convergence of a sequence like this.
  6. Apr 7, 2008 #5
    ok thank you so much!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?