1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences problem help

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I want to express

[tex]...-2\pi+\theta,\theta, 2\pi-\theta, 2\pi+\theta, 4\pi-\theta...[/tex]

in terms of a variable integer k.

e.g. ...-x,0,x, 2x, 3x... = kx, k E Z

So I was thinking expressing it as so: [tex]2k\pi \pm \theta[/tex]
    but I believe it can be expressed in another way to avoid the [itex]\pm[/itex], using (-1)k somehow.

How can this be done?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Re: Sequences

The example sequence you gave seems to indicate you want "two plusses", "a minus", "a plus", and "a minus". Is this a mistake? If you want the sequence to alternate between plus and minus for theta and still use every integer k for [itex]2\pi[/itex] you may be able to use something like
    [itex]\pi(k+1)k + (-1)^k \theta[/tex]

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Yeah I'm not sure about your example, but I think this will do what you want.

[tex]\lfloor k/2 \rfloor 2\pi + (-1)^k \theta [/tex]

5. Mar 16, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

My example was just trying to illustrate what I meant, I didn't mean for it to be similar to my problem :smile:
    I think you might have a typo: [tex]\pi(k+1)k[/tex] ?

Anyway, I solved it.

[tex]...-\theta,\theta,2\pi-\theta,2\pi+\theta,4\pi-\theta...=\frac{\pi}{2}\left(2k+1\right)+(-1)^k\left(\theta-\frac{\pi}{2}\right), k \in Z[/tex]

edit: I was wrong :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  6. Mar 16, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

uart, what does that symbol you used mean?

7. Mar 16, 2010 #6

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Try insert integers in [itex](k+1)k[/itex] and see what you get. It corresponds to the integer truncation uart used in his post.

For [itex]k=0[/itex] you then get [itex]\pi - \theta[/itex]. Is that included in your sequence?

8. Mar 16, 2010 #7

uart

Science Advisor

It's called "floor(x)" and it means the "largest integer less than or equal to x"

9. Mar 16, 2010 #8

Mentallic

Homework Helper

But k(k+1) grows at a quadratic rate, not linear.
    For k=0,1,2... k(k+1)=0,2,6,12,20,30...
    which grows too rapidly.

Yes sorry, I fixed up the error.

Aha, like how computers truncate decimal expansions rather than rounding off by default :smile:

10. Mar 16, 2010 #9

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Oh my, you are quite right. What I really was trying to do was to give the same sequence as uart also gave, but some part of my brain must have been a bit too creative with trying to get rid of the integer truncation while another part must have been sleeping instead of catching the nonsense. I do apologise.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook