Proving (a+b)^n = ∑(n_μ)(a^μ)(b^(n-μ)) | a=1, b=-1 using Sequences Test

In summary: The first one is for nu=0, when the power of a is n and the power of b is 0In summary, the formula (a+b)^n = \sum^\infty_{\nu=0} \binom{n}{\nu} a^\nu b^{n-\nu} can be used to show that the series (^n_n) - (^n_{n-1}) + (^n_{n-2}) - (^n_{n-3}) + ...(^n_0) equals 0. This can be further simplified by substituting a=1 and b=-1, resulting in the equation 0 =
AnthonyAcc
Show that ([tex]^{n}_{n}[/tex]) - ([tex]^{n}_{n-1}[/tex]) + ([tex]^{n}_{n-2}[/tex]) - ([tex]^{n}_{n-3}[/tex]) + ...([tex]^{n}_{0}[/tex]) = 0

(a+b)[tex]^{n}[/tex] = [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{\nu=0}[/tex] ([tex]^{n}_{\nu}[/tex])a[tex]^{\nu}[/tex]b[tex]^{n-\nu}[/tex]a=1
b=-1

0 = (1+(-1))[tex]^{n}[/tex] = [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{\nu=0}[/tex]([tex]^{n}_{\nu}[/tex]) 1[tex]^{\nu}[/tex](-1)[tex]^{n-\nu}[/tex] = [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{\nu=0}[/tex]([tex]^{n}_{\nu}[/tex])(-1)[tex]^{n-\nu}[/tex] =

...I don't know what to do here...

= [tex]\sum^{n}_{\nu=0}[/tex]([tex]^{n}_{n-\nu}[/tex])(-1)[tex]^{\nu}[/tex] = ([tex]^{n}_{n}[/tex]) - ([tex]^{n}_{n-1}[/tex]) + ([tex]^{n}_{n-2}[/tex]) - ([tex]^{n}_{n-3}[/tex]) + ...([tex]^{n}_{0}[/tex])That is if that last equality is correct and makes sense to be there.

Any suggestions?

Also, how can I make it so everything that follows the Sigma doesn't look like it is being superscripted?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a=1, b=-1
(1+(-1))n=0

Now try a=-1, b=1 so that

(-1+1)n=0

Or separate the odds from the even and create two separate sums:
sum (even) - sum (odd) = 0

Does this [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{\nu=0}[/tex] ([tex]^{n}_{\nu}[/tex]) imply [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{n}_{\nu=0}[/tex] ([tex]^{n}_{\nu}[/tex]) because it's for every n choose [tex]\nu[/tex] so there can only be n many [tex]\nu[/tex]s?

I told you to use something like this:
[tex]\sum_{v=0}^{n/2}\binom{n}{n-2v}(-1)^{2v}*1^{n-2v}+\sum_{v=0}^{n/2}\binom{n}{n-2v-1}(-1)^{2v-1}*1^{n-2v-1}[/tex]

For the both sums a=-1 and b=1, so that 0-0=0

Use \binom{ } { } for binomial coefficients.

Regards.

Last edited:
A more fundamental question I have, I guess, is if I know that [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{\nu=0}[/tex] ([tex]^{n}_{\nu}[/tex]) a[tex]^{\nu}[/tex] b[tex]^{n-\nu}[/tex] = (a+b)[tex]^{n}[/tex] then do I know that
[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{n}_{\nu=0}[/tex] ([tex]^{n}_{n-\nu}[/tex]) a[tex]^{\nu}[/tex] b[tex]^{n-\nu}[/tex] = (a+b)[tex]^{n}[/tex]? How does the changing of infinity to n and the [tex]\nu[/tex] to n - [tex]\nu[/tex] impact the series?

Last edited:
n is an integer, right? Then the generalized binomial coefficient C(n,nu) of n and nu is zero for nu>n, also right? There's a zero factor in the definition. That's how you truncate the infinite sum. Though I'm not sure why you have an infinite sum to begin with. And in that case, sure, C(n,nu)=C(n,n-nu).

What is the Sequences Test?

The Sequences Test, also known as the Limit Comparison Test, is a method used in calculus to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves comparing the given series to a known series with known convergence or divergence.

How is the Sequences Test used in proving (a+b)^n = ∑(n_μ)(a^μ)(b^(n-μ)) | a=1, b=-1?

In this case, the Sequences Test is used to compare the given series, (a+b)^n, to a known series with known convergence or divergence. By using the Sequences Test, we can prove the equation (a+b)^n = ∑(n_μ)(a^μ)(b^(n-μ)) | a=1, b=-1.

What is the process of using the Sequences Test to prove (a+b)^n = ∑(n_μ)(a^μ)(b^(n-μ)) | a=1, b=-1?

The process involves setting up the comparison series and then taking the limit of the ratio between the two series as n approaches infinity. If the limit is a positive number, then both series either converge or diverge. If the limit is 0 or infinity, then the series diverges. And if the limit is a finite positive number, then the series converges.

What are the key steps in using the Sequences Test to prove (a+b)^n = ∑(n_μ)(a^μ)(b^(n-μ)) | a=1, b=-1?

The key steps include setting up the comparison series, taking the limit of the ratio between the two series, and then determining the convergence or divergence of the series based on the limit. It is important to also consider the properties and rules of limits when using the Sequences Test.

Are there any limitations to using the Sequences Test in proving (a+b)^n = ∑(n_μ)(a^μ)(b^(n-μ)) | a=1, b=-1?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Sequences Test. It can only be used for series with positive terms and cannot determine the exact value of the series, only its convergence or divergence. Other methods such as the Integral Test or Ratio Test may be more appropriate for certain series.