Serial Peripheral Interface

In summary, the SPI has a master and slave with the clock signal running only when there is a byte to transmit. The default state for MOSI and MISO is "1" which may be sampled as data sent. Additionally, the SPI diagram does not show a common ground, but it is implicit and not explicitly shown.
themagiciant95
I have a SPI with a master and a slave:
52ddb2dcce395fed638b4567.png
How the system knows what's the starting point of the data sent ? It's ok that we have the clock, but both MOSI and MISO have a default state on "1", that may be sampled as data sent

Attachments

• 52ddb2dcce395fed638b4567.png
    52ddb2dcce395fed638b4567.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 775
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks. When i studied the UART protocol i read that it need a common ground:

file.png

In the SPI diagram it doesn't appear. Why ? Probably i don't clearly understand what a commond groud is... :(

Attachments

• file.png
    file.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 436
themagiciant95 said:
In the SPI diagram it doesn't appear. Why ?

It is just implicit. They didn't bother to put it in the diagram, but it's there.

Likes themagiciant95

1. What is Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI)?

Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) is a synchronous serial communication protocol used for connecting microcontrollers, sensors, and other devices. It allows for fast data transfer between devices using a master-slave architecture.

2. How does SPI work?

SPI uses four wires for communication: a master-out, slave-in (MOSI) line for sending data from the master device to the slave device, a master-in, slave-out (MISO) line for sending data from the slave device to the master device, a clock (SCK) line for synchronizing data transfer, and a chip select (CS) line for selecting the specific slave device to communicate with. The master device sends a clock signal to the slave device, which then sends data back to the master device. This process repeats for each bit of data being transferred.

3. What are the advantages of using SPI?

SPI has several advantages, including high data transfer rates, low cost and simplicity, and flexibility in connecting multiple devices. It also requires fewer pins compared to other communication protocols, making it ideal for use in small microcontrollers.

4. What are some common applications of SPI?

SPI is commonly used in embedded systems, such as microcontrollers, to communicate with peripherals such as sensors, displays, and memory chips. It is also used in communication devices, such as Ethernet controllers, and in memory devices, such as flash memory.

5. What are the differences between SPI and other serial communication protocols?

Unlike other protocols like I2C and UART, SPI does not have a standardized protocol and is not limited to a specific number of devices. It also has a higher data transfer rate compared to I2C and does not require a clock signal from the slave device. However, it does require more pins and is not suitable for long-distance communication.