Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Series againand again

1. Nov 9, 2004 #1
    Sorry about the title everyone but ive posted numerous threads on series and I had to choose an apropriate title :tongue2:
    The problem asks to use the ratio test, and determine for which values of x the test is conclusive-either converging or diverging. Then check those cases where the test is inconclusive by some other means.

here is the the series [tex]\sum_{n=3}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n3^n}[/tex]...converge or diverge here is what i did [tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}[/tex] and that came out to be [tex]\frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)(3^{n+1})}[/tex] multiplie by the [tex]\frac{n3^{n}}{x^{n}}[/tex] and after you cross out similar variables and it comes out to be

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{xn}{3(n+1)}[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{x^{n+1}n3^n}{x^n(n+1)3^{n+1}}=\frac{nx}{(n+1)3}[/tex]

4. Nov 9, 2004 #3
    thanks galileo but I got that far just had problems latexing it

5. Nov 9, 2004 #4
    So you get

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \left| \frac{n}{(n+1)}\frac{x}{3}\right| = \frac{|x|}{3}[/tex]

And you know this is stricly less than 1 for it to be conclusively converging, strictly greater than 1 to be conclusively diverging, and inconclusive at 1. So you must test the values for which the expression equals one.

--J

6. Nov 10, 2004 #5

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The remaining cases are x=3 and x=-3

If x=3 then the series reduces to the harmonic series, which diverges.

If x=-3 then we have an alternating series, and we can use the Leibnitz test (whose exact conditions escape me right now).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook