Convergence and Continuity of a Series with Cosine and Factorials

In summary: I am not given that f(x) is continuous.In summary, the problem involves proving that the sum f(x)=\Sigma [(3^(n) + cos(n))/n!]X^n converges for all x in the interval [-10,10], and showing that f is continuous in that interval. This can be done by using the ratio test to determine the radius of convergence, using the M-test to show uniform convergence, and utilizing the fact that polynomials are continuous everywhere.
gutnedawg

Homework Statement

Let f(x)=[tex]\Sigma[/tex] [(3^(n) + cos(n))/n!]X^n

1. Prove that for every x in [-10,10] the sum converges
2. Show that for every [tex]\epsilon[/tex] >0 there's an N independant of x in [-10,10] such that
|f(x) - [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [(3^(n) + cos(n))/n!]X^n | < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]
3. Use 2 together with the fact that polynomials are contiuous everywhere to show that f is continuous in [-10,10]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Can I just say that this is less than 4^n/n! *X^n and that converges by an+1/an test and that since it converges for all X it'll converge for a subset of R?
2. I'm not sure what to do here
3. Since I don't fully understand 2 I'm not sure what to do here. I feel like the polynomials converging part relates to the X^n with a0,a1,a2... being the part in front

Physics news on Phys.org
1) What about the ratio test? This will give you an idea of the radius of convergence.
2) Use the M-test here, you're showing that the fucnction is uniformly continuous.
3) 2 saying that the series defined is the power series for f(x), how do you prove continuity?

I'm not sure if I can use the M-test, is that Weierstrass approximation theorem?

I think this might be a limit problem?

can anyone help me further on this?

alright I understand the problem a little more but I'm still running into problems with part 2

I cannot use uniform convergence rules to prove this problem

1. What is series analysis?

Series analysis is a statistical method used to analyze a set of data points that are collected over a period of time. It involves studying patterns and trends within the data to make predictions and understand the underlying factors that may be influencing the data.

2. What are the types of series analysis?

There are two main types of series analysis: time series analysis and cross-sectional analysis. Time series analysis involves studying data points collected over a period of time, while cross-sectional analysis involves studying data from different groups or categories at a specific point in time.

3. What are the steps involved in series analysis?

The steps involved in series analysis include data collection, data cleaning and preparation, identifying patterns and trends, selecting a suitable model, and making predictions or drawing conclusions based on the analysis.

4. What are the applications of series analysis?

Series analysis is used in various fields, including economics, finance, engineering, and social sciences. It is commonly used for forecasting future trends, detecting anomalies or outliers, and making decisions based on historical data.

5. What are some common challenges in series analysis?

Some common challenges in series analysis include dealing with missing or incomplete data, identifying appropriate models for complex data, and dealing with outliers or unexpected patterns in the data. It is important to carefully consider these challenges and make appropriate adjustments in the analysis to ensure accurate results.