Series and Parallel Ciruits

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of current that would flow through two 150-Watt light bulbs in parallel compared to if they were connected in series. It also provides equations for finding resistance, current, and power in a circuit. The conclusion is that a parallel connection would produce more light since both bulbs receive the full voltage, while in a series connection, the bulbs share the same current but at half the potential difference, resulting in lower power and light output. However, this conclusion does not take into account practical considerations such as the behavior of real light bulbs.
lampshader

Homework Statement

What if you were to make a circuit with two 150-Watt light bulbs in parallel -- how much current would flow through each bulb? Compare that to the amount of current which would flow through the bulbs if they were connected in series. Which way would create more light?

Homework Equations

1/R (base eq) = 1 / R (base1) + 1 / R (base2) + 1 / R (base N)

I = E (base eq) / R (base eq)
P (base w) = I^2*R

The Attempt at a Solution

We can find the total resistance by:
1/R (base eq) = 1 / R (base1) + 1 / R (base2)

= 1/96 Ohms + 1/96 Ohms
= 1/48 Ohms = 0.2080 Ohms^-1
= R (base eq) = 1 / 0.2080 Ohms^-1 = 4.8077 Ohms.

We can now find the current by using:

E (base eq) = 12V
R (base eq) = 4.8077 Ohms;

then:

I = E (base eq) / R (base eq) = 12V / 4.8077 Ohms. = 2.496 =~ 2.5 A
P (base w) = I^2*R = (2.5 A)^2 * (4.8077 Ohms) = 30.0481 W

Therefore, 30.0481 Watt’s are flowing through each bulb during a live parallel circuit. To find the current of two 150 Watt light bulbs in a series we can use:

R (base eq) = 96 Ohms + 96 Ohms = 192 Ohms.

and:

I = E (base eq) / R (base eq) = 12V / 192 Ohms = 0.625 A
So, P (base w) = I^2*R = (0.625 A)^2 * 192 Ohms = 0.75 W.

My Conclusion, therefore, is the parallel circuit with two light bulbs has more current than that of the series circuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
The bulbs that are in parallel both receive the the same, full voltage of the supply (parallel components share the same potential difference). So both will produce their rated 150 W when connected in parallel to their recommended supply voltage.

The bulbs that are in series carry the same current, but at half the potential difference (since they are identical bulbs).
Since power varies as the square of the potential difference: P ∝ V2 , we can expect the bulbs in series to dissipate 1/4 of the power that the parallel bulbs do, and so produce 1/4 of the light output*.

So the conclusion is that more light is produced with a parallel connection.

*This ignores practical considerations of how a real light bulb behaves when not operating at its designed power level. The resistance of a real filament is temperature dependent, and the portion of the light spectrum that gets the largest share of the available energy shifts with temperature, too.

What are series and parallel circuits?

Series and parallel circuits are two types of electrical circuits that are commonly used in electronic devices. In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

The main difference between series and parallel circuits is the way the components are connected. In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches. This results in different characteristics in terms of voltage, current, and resistance.

How does the voltage and current behave in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components, so the total voltage across all components is equal to the sum of the individual voltages. The current, on the other hand, remains the same throughout the circuit.

How does the voltage and current behave in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across all components, while the current is divided among the branches. The total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the individual branch currents.

Which type of circuit is better for different applications?

The choice between a series and parallel circuit depends on the specific application. Series circuits are better for devices that require a specific amount of voltage, such as Christmas lights. Parallel circuits are better for devices that require a specific amount of current, such as household appliances. In general, parallel circuits are more commonly used in electronic devices due to their ability to handle higher currents and provide more power.