Series and Parallel Resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to resistors in a circuit. In the first problem, a 12 ohms resistor is connected in parallel with a series combination of 8 ohms and 16 ohms resistors. To find the total voltage and current, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/RT = 1/R12 + 1/R3. The total voltage is then determined by dividing the voltage drop across the 8 ohms resistor by the total resistance. In the second problem, two resistors of 1.95 ohms and 0.05 ohms are connected in parallel and the total current is given as 50V. To find the current in each resistor, a current
jam7cacci
hi! I need some assistance regarding my assignment. hope there's anyone who could help me out. the questions are:

1.a. a 12 ohms resistor is connected in parallel with a series combination of resistors of 8 ohms and 16 ohms. if voltage drop across the 8 ohms resistor, is 48 volts. Determine the total impressed voltage and total current. Vt=? It=?

1.b. Relevant equations
V = IR; I=V/R

1.c. The attempt at a solution
so... first i have to get the total resistance to get the total current and voltage right? (Please correct me if I'm wrong. thanks! :D)

R12 = 8ohms + 16ohms = 24ohms

1/RT = 1/R12 + 1/R3
1/RT = 1/24 + 1/12ohms
1/RT = 1/8 ohms

Rt = 8 ohms

here's the part where I'm totally confused
It = Vt/Rt
It = 48Volts / 8 ohms
It = 6 A

Vt = 48? (i really don't know how to solve for the total voltage)

2.a. 2 resistors 1.95ohms and 0.05ohms are connected in parallel and takes a total current of 50V. What is the current in each resistor?

2.b. Relevant equations
I1 = It

I1 = V1/R1

2.c. The attempt at a solution

I1 = 50V / 1.95ohms
I1 = 25.64 A

I2 = 50V / 0.05ohms
I2 = 1000 A

Engineering news on Phys.org
voltage is the same for all when in parallel
current is the same for all when in series.
(ie: when you use the meter to emasure voltage, you put the probe across 2 points hence the probe is in parallel with component, but when you measure current you cannot do the same, need to make it part of the circuit)

for first part, find voltage drop across 8 and 16, then voltage across both of that is same as 12ohm (ie: if 48v across 8 ohm, and since 8 ohm in series with 16 and they share same current, how much is voltage across 16ohm, then what is the total voltage across 8series16, this is your answer)
for 2nd, you need to find the equivalent resistance, then find current

for 2nd, how does it take total current 50V? you mean 50A? do a current divider
least resistance means more current flow in that direction

Last edited:

Hello! I would be happy to assist you with your assignment.

1. For part 1.a, you are correct in calculating the total resistance by adding the resistances in parallel first and then adding that to the series combination of resistors. However, the formula you used to calculate the total resistance is for resistors in parallel only. To calculate the total resistance for a combination of parallel and series resistors, you can use this formula: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn. In this case, it would be 1/Rt = 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/24. Solving for Rt, you will get 4 ohms.

To calculate the total impressed voltage, you can use the formula Vt = V1 + V2 + ... + Vn. In this case, it would be Vt = 48 + 48 + 48 = 144 volts.

To calculate the total current, you can use the formula It = Vt/Rt. In this case, it would be It = 144/4 = 36 amps.

2. For part 2.a, you can use the formula It = I1 + I2 + ... + In to calculate the total current. In this case, it would be 50 = I1 + I2. Since the resistors are in parallel, the voltage across each resistor will be the same, which is 50V. So you can use the formula I = V/R to calculate the current in each resistor. Therefore, I1 = 50/1.95 = 25.64 amps and I2 = 50/0.05 = 1000 amps.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the difference between series and parallel resistors?

In a series resistor circuit, the resistors are connected end-to-end, and the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel resistor circuit, the resistors are connected side-by-side, and the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel resistor circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is calculated by adding together the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances. The total resistance can then be found by taking the reciprocal of this sum.

3. Why would I use a series resistor circuit?

A series resistor circuit is commonly used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit. By increasing the resistance, the current is reduced. This can be useful in protecting components from damage or in creating a voltage divider circuit.

4. What is the purpose of using parallel resistors in a circuit?

Parallel resistors are often used to increase the total resistance in a circuit. This can be useful in reducing the amount of current flowing through a circuit or in creating a voltage divider circuit. Parallel resistors can also help distribute the current more evenly, allowing for more efficient use of power.

5. How do I choose the appropriate resistors for a circuit?

The appropriate resistors for a circuit depend on the desired resistance and the amount of power the circuit is expected to handle. For a series circuit, the resistors should have a higher resistance than the expected total resistance. For a parallel circuit, the resistors should have a lower resistance than the expected total resistance. It is also important to choose resistors with appropriate power ratings to prevent overheating and damage to the circuit.