I Had 16/7: What Am I Doing Wrong with Series and Sequences?

In summary, the individual was asking for help in determining the sum of a series and received a hint to write it as the sum of two series. They were able to correctly solve the problem with the help of the hint. They also inquired about how to show their work in the future, and were given options such as typing in LaTeX or scanning their work.
joellecool
Hey all!
I wished someone tell me what I am doing wrong.

The question asks to:

Determine the sum of the following series

8094c6f8ab34b2a4c04257bc91baea1.png

I had : 16/7 as an answer. May I know what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, i don't want to be rude, but it is kind of hard to tell what you are doing wrong, since you did not post any work at all.

Welcome to PF, by the way. It is a forum policy that all should post some work first.

I will give you one hint: write that as the sum of 2 series.

Thank you

HallsofIvy said:
I will give you one hint: write that as the sum of 2 series.

Thank you for the hint. It was really helpful. I had 92/45 as an answer, which happened to be right.

Just for future references, how am I supposed to show you my work? Should I take a picture of what I wrote and just paste it over here? or should I just say what I did. I do not have a tablet PC, nor do I use a PC to do my work; I do it all by hand, so I am not sure what you require of me.

Thanks!

joellecool said:
Thank you for the hint. It was really helpful. I had 92/45 as an answer, which happened to be right.

Just for future references, how am I supposed to show you my work? Should I take a picture of what I wrote and just paste it over here? or should I just say what I did. I do not have a tablet PC, nor do I use a PC to do my work; I do it all by hand, so I am not sure what you require of me.

Thanks!
You can type in LaTeX if you'd like: Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

or simply type it up! or scan your work, anything is fine :)

1. What is the difference between a series and a sequence?

A series is the sum of a sequence of numbers, while a sequence is a list of numbers in a specific order. In other words, a series is the result of adding the terms of a sequence.

2. How do you find the sum of a series?

To find the sum of a series, you can use the formula S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio between the terms in the series. Alternatively, you can use the partial sum formula, Sn = (a(1-r^n))/(1-r), where n represents the number of terms in the series.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric series?

In an arithmetic series, each term is found by adding a constant value to the previous term. In a geometric series, each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value.

4. How do you determine if a series or sequence is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if the limit of the partial sums approaches a finite number as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity. A series is divergent if the limit does not approach a finite number. For a sequence, you can use the limit comparison test or the ratio test to determine convergence or divergence.

5. Can you provide an example of a series or sequence?

One example of a series is the Fibonacci sequence, where each term is the sum of the two previous terms (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, ...). An example of a geometric series is the infinite sum of 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + ... which converges to 1.