1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series and Sequences

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1
    Hope all of you had a good July 4th (for those that celebrate it)!

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out series and sequences. I'm using Stewarts' Single Variable Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 6th. ed.

For instance, under Section 11.4, the Comparison Tests, I don't understand how one arrives at bn.

Example:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}-1}[/tex]

The book then proceeds to state:

an = [tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}-1}[/tex], which I understand because it's written as [tex]\Sigma[/tex]an.

However, the book then proceeds to state that:

bn = [tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex], which I have no idea how they got there. Do I just remove all constants from an? Or do I remove all variables that are not attached by an "n"?

Also, my Calculus 1 is a bit rusty, but how exactly does (excerpted from p.717, Example 4 of Stewarts)

[tex]\frac{(n+1)^{3}}{3^{n+1}}[/tex] [tex]\times[/tex] [tex]\frac{3^{n}}{n^{3}}[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]([tex]\frac{n+1}{n}[/tex])3

=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex](1+[tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex])3

=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2008 #2
    i don't have a copy of that book, so here's a conjecture (going by the looks of it):
    that's the ratio test. you determine the ratio of (n+1)th term to the n th term as n approaches infinity, and conclude depending on whether the value obtained is greater or less that 1, the series is cgt or dvt. in this case it turns out to be 1/3.

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
    It's just implementing the comparison test:

11.PNG

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4
    Error: Does not compute.:confused:

Sorry, I'm still confused :frown:

6. Jul 7, 2008 #5
    I just skimmed your first post... I think this is relevant though:
    B sub n is just some other series that was (almost) arbitrarily picked because it converges.

7. Aug 13, 2008 #6
    You can use the limit comparison test. I don't know a good mathematical way to explain this, but when I learned that test, my instructor called bn the "simpler version" of an. As it was stated earlier, we know that [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex] converges. So, the limit comparison test says that if lim[tex]_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex][tex]\frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}}[/tex]=c, and c>0, then both an and bn converge or both diverge, if bn converges, so does an and the same goes for divergence.

8. Aug 14, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\frac{1}{2^n-1}> \frac{1}{2^n}[/tex]
    because the numerator on the left is smaller than the numerator on the right. However, that really doesn't help because you want to show this converges so you need "<" not ">" to a convergent series.

You might say [tex]\frac{1}{2^n-1}< \frac{2}{2^n}[/tex]
    and then argue that since [tex]2\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{2^n}[/tex] converges, so does [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{2^n-1}[/tex]

and, of course,
    [tex]\frac{(n+1)^3}{3^{n+1}}\frac{3^n}{n^3}= \frac{3^n}{3^{n+1}}\left(\frac{n+1}{n}\right)^3[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{3}\left(1+ \frac{1}{n}\right)^3[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?