1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series and sequences

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Express 7.54545454545 . . . as a rational number, in the form p/q
    where p and q are positive integers with no common factors.
    p = ? and q = ?

This problem is nothing like I've seen before, so I don't even have a clue on how to start it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2
    There is a usual method of multiplying the number by 100 and subtracting and then dividing a few things to get a result (or tweaking it a little bit to fit your number). Have you seen this before? What methods have you used in the class or book you got this from? That is usually a good start.

4. Apr 21, 2010 #3
    Well I've seen the general theories ans tests but our teacher never gave us an example or a situation like this one, that is why I can't figure out how to even start the problem.

5. Apr 21, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try what VeeEight suggested. If s=7.54545454545 . . . what is 100*s-s?

6. Apr 22, 2010 #5
    Yeah I posted that,but they deleted it and I got in trouble for giving them full answers so try doing something with s and SOMETHINGs and SUBTRACT them to get something S=something here. Then divide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook