1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series approximation

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the sum of the first 10 terms ,
    Estimate the sum of the series (1/n^2) n from 1 to infinity ? How good the estimate is ?

c) Find a value for n that will ensure that the error in the approximation s= sn is less than .001.

2. Relevant equations

I think Rn = s - sn

3. The attempt at a solution

Am ok with that, but how to know who good the appr. is ??
    And do we do the integration to find the value of n ? if so please tell how ?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check your book for a remainder theorem associated with the integral test. Is it there?

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    Uha, I think that you mean this formula

Sn+ ∫_(n+1 )^(infity )▒〖f(x)dx<s<Sn+ ∫_n^(infinity )▒f(x)dx〗

Do you think that this works for part c ?

5. Apr 4, 2009 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your equation doesn't appear as it should on my browser, but there's a simple theorem for estimating the remainder [itex]R_N[/itex] that exists when the nth partial sum [itex]S_N[/itex] of a convergent series is computed. It says:

[tex]R_N\leq a_N+\int_N^{\infty}f(x)dx[/tex]

And yes, it will help for part c.

6. Apr 4, 2009 #5
    Uha, thanks alot..

But, I still wondering when do we use two boundries and when to use only one when computing the error ??

7. Apr 4, 2009 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're not computing the error, you're estimating it. And any series that converges by the integral test has only positive terms. So there is always an implicit lower boundary of 0 on [itex]R_N[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook