Series Capacitance: C1, C2 at 1000V - Calc Total, Charge & PD

In summary, two capacitors with capacitances of 3*10^-12 f and 6*10^-12 f are connected in series and then connected to a 1000V source. The equivalent capacitance can be found using the equation 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2. The total charge on the combination is equal to the equivalent capacitance multiplied by the voltage, and the charge on each individual capacitor is the same. The potential difference between each capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V. However, since the capacitors are in series, the net charge on the internal plates will stay zero.
in10sivkid
2 Capacitors, C1 = 3*10^-12 f and C2= 6*10^-12 f are connected in series and the resulting combination is connected across 1000V

a) the equivalent capacitance
i got this 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2

b) total charge on the combination and the charge taken by each capicator

ok here is where i am confused because I am not entirely sure what equation to use

do I use C = Q/V
but in my notes it says that it is teh potential difference between the capicators i dont' know how to calculate how much voltage each capicator is taking...so when i do the problem i got total voltage to be 2000V which can't be right

c) the potential difference between each capacitor
i'm assuming this is the difference in voltage...so i guess i need part B , but im' not entirely sure what its asking

ok really any help would be awesome :)

Physics news on Phys.org
b
Total chatge = Ctotal *v
in series connection the potential difference is distributed but charge on each capacitor is same Q = C1V1 = C2V2 and V1 + V2 =Vtotal
you may use Q = Ctotal*Vtotal

In a series connection the magnitude of charges on all plates of a capacitor are the same. Since you know the equivalent capacitance then you can calculate the charge as this charge will be the same for all the capacitors.

arrrrggh! lol i hate my textbook I'm seriously it doesn't say that! no joke and same with my notes i had to research that online

but thank you for your help that just solidifed with what i just learned. i apprecaite it =)

in10sivkid said:
2 Capacitors, C1 = 3*10^-12 f and C2= 6*10^-12 f are connected in series and the resulting combination is connected across 1000V

a) the equivalent capacitance
i got this 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2

b) total charge on the combination and the charge taken by each capicator

ok here is where i am confused because I am not entirely sure what equation to use

do I use C = Q/V
but in my notes it says that it is the potential difference between the capicators

V is the voltage across the capacitor that is the negative potential difference between the capacitor plates. You have the capacitance of the resultant capacitor which is equivalent with the two capacitors in series. You can calculate the charge on this equivalent capacitor.

i dont' know how to calculate how much voltage each capicator is taking...so when i do the problem i got total voltage to be 2000V which can't be right

See the picture. When you connect voltage to the serially connected capacitors the external plates get charged, but no charge can flow across the plates so the net charge on the internal plates stays zero. Because of influence, the positive and negative charges will be separated however, the left inner plate gets -q charge and the right one gets q one: the charges on the serially connected capacitors are the same as the charge on the resultant capacitor.

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is series capacitance?

Series capacitance is a type of electrical circuit in which multiple capacitors are connected in a series, meaning that the positive end of one capacitor is connected to the negative end of the next capacitor. This results in a single current path for the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of calculating total capacitance in a series circuit?

The total capacitance in a series circuit is calculated by adding the individual capacitance values of each capacitor. This is important because it determines the overall electrical properties of the circuit, such as the voltage and charge.

3. How do you calculate the total capacitance in a series circuit?

To calculate the total capacitance in a series circuit, you can use the formula Ctotal = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where C stands for capacitance and the numbers represent the individual capacitance values of each capacitor in the circuit.

4. What is charge in relation to series capacitance?

In series capacitance, charge refers to the amount of electric charge that is stored in each capacitor in the circuit. The total charge in the circuit is equal to the sum of the charges in each individual capacitor.

5. How is potential difference (PD) related to series capacitance?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is directly related to series capacitance. As more capacitors are added in series, the total capacitance increases, which in turn decreases the potential difference across each individual capacitor. This relationship can be expressed mathematically as PD = Q/C, where Q is the total charge and C is the total capacitance.