Solve Series Circuit for RT, IT, I3, V1, V3, V5

In summary, for a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of all individual resistances, and the total current is the same everywhere in the circuit. The voltage drop across each resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law (V=IR).
Dazed

Homework Statement

2. For the following circuit, find RT, IT, I3, V1, V3, V5.

http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m17aje5.gif

Homework Equations

V = IR, ohms law, Kirchoff's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

RT = R1 + R2 + R3 + R4 + R5 + R5
RT = 20 + 22 + 30 + 27 + 40 + 20
RT = 159 ohms

IT = V/RT
IT = 120 V / 159 ohms
IT = 0.75 amps

I have the total resistance and total current.. I'm not sure exactly how to go about finding the current at I3 though. Any help would be appreciated.

voltage, minus the voltage drop of the 2 resistors before it, / resistance of the 2 resistors before it? I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a series circuit, the current is constant all the way round, so the current at I3 is the same as the IT that you calculated.

As the current is the same through all the resistors, you can calculate the voltage drop across each resistor using V=IR

Hope that helps

That does help a lot, thanks.

But it raises one question for me, you say the current is the same through all resistors, but as I understand, the resistance causes the current to drop.

Hence the I = V / R formula

The previous question I did was "What is the current through each resistor?" in "A circuit with a 6.0 V battery has a 3 ohm resistor and a 15 ohm resistor in series."At a 3 ohm resistor

I = V / R
I = 6 v / 3 ohm
I = 2 amps

At a 15 ohm resistor

I = V / R
I = 5 v / 15 ohm
I = 0.33 (repeating)

Is this wrong, and the current through each of these resistors is equal to IT?

Last edited:
Dazed said:
But it raises one question for me, you say the current is the same through all resistors, but as I understand, the resistance causes the current to drop.

No, as Edward says, the current is the same everywhere in the series circuit. That same current causes a different voltage drop in the different load resistors, and that same current flows through the power supply (battery).

What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a single loop, with the current flowing through each component in succession. This means that the current is the same at all points in the circuit.

How do you solve a series circuit?

To solve a series circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that the voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). You can also use Kirchhoff's voltage law, which states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop circuit must equal the source voltage.

What are some common values to solve for in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, you may need to solve for the total resistance (RT), the total current (IT), the current at a specific point (I3), or the voltage drops at different points (V1, V3, V5). These values can be calculated using the formulas mentioned above.

What is the significance of solving a series circuit?

Solving a series circuit is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. It helps us determine the current, voltage, and resistance at different points in the circuit, which is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

Can a series circuit have more than one source voltage?

No, a series circuit can only have one source voltage. This is because the components in a series circuit are connected in a single loop, so the same voltage is applied to each component. If there were multiple source voltages, the current would split and the circuit would no longer be a series circuit.