1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series circuit

1. Mar 29, 2004 #1
    In a series circuit, do large or small resistances have large or small voltage drops? If resistance is added to a seriese circuit, total resistance in the circiut increases right? If resistance is added to it, total current in the circiut decreses right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2004 #2
    As per Ohm's law:
    [tex]V = IR[/tex]
    The larger the resistance, the bigger the potential drop is. Since the total resistance of resistors that are connected in series is:
    [tex]R_T = R_1 + R_2 + ...[/tex]
    If you add more resistors in series, you increase the total resistance of the circuit. Since the total potential drop on all resistors must stay the same, the current decreases.

4. Mar 29, 2004 #3
    Is that the same for a parallel connection? The larger the resistance, the larger the voltage drop? If they are the same, then larger the resistance, the smaller the current right? The General relationship for resistance in parallel circuit is R=R1+R2+R3...right?

5. Mar 29, 2004 #4
    No, that's in series connection. When connecting resistors in parallel the total resistance is:
    [tex]\frac{1}{R_T} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} + ...[/tex]
    If you add more resistors, you can see that the right side of the equation grows, so the total resistance decreases. In parallel connection, the potential drop on all resistors is equal and isn't affected by their number or total resistance. Only the current changes when you add more resistors in parallel, or disconnect some.

6. Mar 29, 2004 #5
    So in a parallel circuit, current decreases with more resistors correct?

For the general equations of volt and current in a series and parallel circuit, V=V1+V2+V3… and I=I1+I2+I3… right?

7. Mar 29, 2004 #6
    No, since more resistors equals less total resistance, the overall current increases as you add more resistors in parallel.

8. Mar 29, 2004 #7
    Am I right that for the general equations of volt and current in a series and parallel circuit, V=V1+V2+V3… and I=I1+I2+I3…?

9. Mar 29, 2004 #8
    Yes, respectively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?