Converging Series for ln(n) with Comparison Tests

Then, use the limit comparison test with the series Ʃ 1/n^p, where p>0. In summary, the problem is to find the positive values of b for which the series Ʃ bln(n) converges, using the Direct Comparison Test and Limit Comparison Test. To approach this, one can rewrite b as e^ln(b) and use the limit comparison test with the series Ʃ 1/n^p, where p>0.
goaliematt76

Homework Statement

Find all positive values of b for which the series Ʃ bln(n) converges. Bounds are from n=1 to infinity.

Homework Equations

The assignment is for Direct Comparison Test and Limit Comparison Test.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin. Using a comparison test would only indicate convergence or divergence. It seems like it might be a geometric series, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
goaliematt76 said:

Homework Statement

Find all positive values of b for which the series Ʃ bln(n) converges. Bounds are from n=1 to infinity.

Homework Equations

The assignment is for Direct Comparison Test and Limit Comparison Test.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin. Using a comparison test would only indicate convergence or divergence. It seems like it might be a geometric series, but I'm not sure.

Try and turn it into a series that looks more familiar. Write b=e^ln(b).

1. What is a series comparison problem?

A series comparison problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves comparing two or more series or sequences to determine their relationship and find patterns or trends within the data.

2. How do you solve a series comparison problem?

To solve a series comparison problem, you first need to identify the series or sequences to be compared. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques such as finding the common difference or ratio, using formulas, or graphing the data to analyze the patterns and make comparisons.

3. What are some common types of series comparison problems?

Some common types of series comparison problems include arithmetic and geometric series, Fibonacci sequence, and Taylor series. These problems often involve finding the next term in a series, determining the sum of a series, or identifying the relationship between two series.

4. What are the real-world applications of series comparison problems?

Series comparison problems have various applications in fields such as science, finance, and engineering. For example, they can be used to analyze and predict patterns in stock market trends, population growth, or the spread of diseases.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving series comparison problems?

To improve your skills in solving series comparison problems, you can practice with different types of problems, familiarize yourself with relevant mathematical concepts and formulas, and seek help from online resources or a tutor. Additionally, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills can also be beneficial.