1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series - comparison test

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to show that:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n^{2}}{2^n}[/tex]

converges. I know I can compare it with the larger convergent geometric series:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1.5^{n}}{2^n}[/tex]

Which is larger for all terms for n> 13.

My question is, I found this "13" through trial and error. Is there any concrete way of determining when bn becomes larger than nc?

Thanks!
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    You could use induction to show that it works for all n>13. However, using the ratio test or root test would be much easier for this series.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    Yeah the problem actually asks me to put an upper bound on Sn, so I needed to compare it to a geometric series with a known sum. So trial and error is the only way to go to get that 13?

5. Oct 20, 2009 #4
    Finding that 13 by trial and error isn't important; what is important is that you can show that it's true for n>13.

6. Oct 20, 2009 #5
    But I need to know at which point it becomes true to collect a partial sum...

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6
    Ok, so basically the problem asks me to place an upper bound on:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n^{2}}{2^n}[/tex]

So what I did was use this:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{13} \frac{n^{2}}{2^n} + \sum_{n=13}^\infty \frac{1.5^{n}}{2^n}[/tex]

as my bound.

Is there a more methodical way than trial and error to figure out at which point the geomtric series is larger than the original one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook