1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Series converge or diverge

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether the series converges or diverges.

[tex] \sum \frac{lnk}{k^3} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since lnk always less than 0, so [tex] \frac{lnk}{k^3} \leq \frac{1}{k^3}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{k^3} [/tex]diverges so[tex] \frac{lnk}{k^3}[/tex] diverges.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I count three mistakes here.
    1. Why do you think that ln(k) is always < 0? I'm assuming that k = 1, 2, 3, ...
    2. The series whose general term is 1/k3 converges.
    3. If you want to show that a given series diverges, its terms must be larger than those of a divergent series. If the terms of the given series are smaller than those of a divergent series, you can't conclude anything.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    Can I argue that [tex]ln(k) < k [/tex] then [tex] \frac{ln(k)}{k^3} < \frac{k}{k^3} [/tex]then it converge because [tex]\frac{1}{k^2} [/tex] converges?

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

Mark44

I can buy that. However, your should be able to convince yourself that ln(x) < x.

6. Mar 23, 2010 #5
    Yeah since ln(x) is the inverse of e^x and they reflect on the y =x.

7. Mar 23, 2010 #6

Mark44

The fact that y = ln(x) and y = ex are reflections across the line y = x doesn't prove that ln(x) < x. If y = ex happens to cross this line a few times means that ln(x) will do so, also.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook