Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series convergence problem

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1
    what are the conditions on [tex]\Gamma_{2n+1} [/tex] so as for the series to converge ?

[tex]m\pi=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-1^{n}) \Gamma_{2n+1}}{(2n+1) r^{2n+1}}[/tex]

m = 0,1,2,....

r is real number

is there an explicit expression for [tex]\Gamma_{2n+1} [/tex] in terms of n ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The gamma function for positive integer arguments is essentially the same as factoral, i.e. gamma(n+1)=n!.

4. Dec 27, 2008 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

[itex]\Gamma_{2n+1}[/itex] need not have anything to do with the gamma function! It's just a coefficient labelled with a capital gamma.

As for the form of gamma... it will obviously depend on m, and it will have to depend on r, too. I'm guessing that you'll need to add more conditions on the form you want, otherwise you may not get a unique answer. (And I don't know if you can get an answer independent of r).

(Following formulae lifted from wikipedia. check external reference to ensure correctness).

For instance,

[tex]\frac{\pi}{4} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty = \frac{(-1)^n}{2n+1}[/tex],

so we could to choose [itex]\Gamma_{2n+1} = 4 m r^{2n+1}[/itex].

Another series is

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{n!}{(2n+1)!!}[/tex]

(where the (2n+1)!! = 1*3*5*...(2n+1) ), so we could choose [itex]\Gamma_{2n+1} = 2(-1)^n m r^{2n+1} (2n+1)n!/(2n+1)!![/itex]. (Admittedly, though, the factor of (-1)^n in there sort of breaks with the subscript notation of the coefficient).

As for general conditions on Gamma, I guess I would run through the convergence tests for series, like the ratio test. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio_test

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  5. Dec 27, 2008 #4
  6. Dec 31, 2008 #5
    i think i sorted it out .

[tex]tan^{-1}(\frac{s}{r})=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-1^{n}) s^{2n+1} }{(2n+1) r^{2n+1}}[/tex]

where

[tex]\frac{s}{r}<1[/tex]

=> [tex]\Gamma_{2n+1} = s^{2n+1}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?