1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series convergence question

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    I have the following series:
    [tex] S = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} 4^n (x+2)^n [/tex]
    Is that the same as [tex]4^n \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} (x+2)^n = 4^n ((x+2) + (x+3) + \cdots + (x+n))[/tex] ???
    Best Regards Bob

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2
    No... it looks clearly different. What makes you think that?

4. Nov 7, 2005 #3
    Okay thank You I just had to be sure,

Taking the first sum into account:

[tex] S = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} 4^n (x+2)^n [/tex]

which method do I use to show for which values of x the series converges?

Best Regards,

Bob

5. Nov 7, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Either the ratio test or the root test will work. Typically, the ratio test is easier:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty}a_n[/tex], an positive, converges if
    [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}[/tex] exists and is less than 1.
    Here,
    [tex]\left|a_n\right|= \left|4^n(x+2)^n\right|= \left|(4(x+2))^n\right|[/tex]
    [tex]\left|a_{n+1}\right|= \left|(4(x+2))^{n+1}\right|[/tex]
    so
    [tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|= \left|4(x+2)\right|[/tex]

That will be less than 1 provided |x+2|< 1/4. In other words, for -2-1/4< x< -2+ 1/4 or -9/4< x< -7/4. Of course, you will need to check the endpoints.

For this example, since we have that "n" power, the ratio test is even easier.
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty}a_n[/tex], an positive, converges if
    [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}^n\sqrt{a_n}[/tex] exists and is less than 1.
    [tex]^n\sqrt{\left|(4(x+2)^n\right|}= \left|4(x+2)\right|[/tex]
    so we must, again, have 4|x+2|< 1.

Actually, it would be much easier to just note that this is a geometric series with common ratio 4(x+ 2)!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  6. Nov 7, 2005 #5
    Hi and thanks You very much for your answer,
    Then the values for which S converges are these:
    -2-1/4< x< -2+ 1/4 or -9/4< x< -7/4 ?

Or is it the end points?

Best Regards,
    Bob

7. Nov 7, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What I said was "a series converges if the sequence of ratios [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}[/tex] converges to a number less than 1 or if the sequence of roots [itex]^n\sqrt{a_n}[/itex] converges to a number less than 1." What I should have said, but didn't, was that the series diverge if those sequence either diverge or converge to a number larger than 1. If the sequences converge to 1- either can happen. Typically one end point gives an alternating series that converges (by the alternating series test) and the other gives a series that does not converge- although it is possible for the series to converge at both end points. That was shy I said "Of course, you will need to check the endpoints."

8. Nov 8, 2005 #7
    Okay thank you,

the values for which the series S converges is that then that [tex]x \leq 2 [/tex] cause these are the only values which makes the inequality true?

Best Regards,

Bob

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?