1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Series convergence, root test

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does it converge, and what is the sum:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n n^{\frac{1}{n}}} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Please check my method and conclusion:

Using the root test:

[tex] \displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{1}{n n^{\frac{1}{n}}} \right|^{\frac{1}{n}} = \displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n n^{\frac{1}{n}}} = \displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{ n^{\frac{1}{n}}} = 0 [/tex]

so while this doe not give me the sum (I'm not excited about that part...), it at least tells me that this series converges. Am I correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your first step is incorrect. How did you just get rid of the 1/n exponent?

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see that you actually took the root. You lost the 1/n exponent right away without changing anything.
    You could have simpified things by writing nn1/n as n1+1/n. This looks like a convergent p-series to me.

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

NOT a convergent p-series, Mark44. The limit of n^(1/n) as n->infinity is one. Think about a comparison test.

6. Feb 3, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I had a suspicion that it wasn't a p-series, given that the exponent wasn't a constant. Thanks for straightening me out, Dick.

7. Feb 3, 2010 #6
    I'm not sure it matters that the exponent is a constant, as long as it is an integer n>0, because no matter what n is here, the value will be greater than 1. BUT since 1/n converges to 0, then we have the exponent converging to one, and then we have a problem.

I'm still not sure what to do here. As far as comparison goes:

[tex] \sum \frac{1}{nn^{\frac{1}{n}}} \leq \sum \frac{1}{n} [/tex]

But that is not helpful b/c the 1/n series diverges...

8. Feb 3, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got (1/n)*(1/n^(1/n)). The second factor approaches 1. So for large n the second factor is greater than, say, 1/2.

9. Feb 3, 2010 #8
    [tex] \sum \frac{1}{nn^{\frac{1}{n}}} \geq \sum\frac{1}{2n} [/tex]

Since we know that the second series is divergent and smaller than the original, we can say the original must diverge as well.

10. Feb 3, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Best possible outcome, really. Now you don't have to worry about summing it.

11. Feb 4, 2010 #10
    :-) Thanks for the input.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook