1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series convergence

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show uniform convergence

[tex]\frac{4b}{\pi} \sum^{\inf}_{n=1} \frac{1-(-1)^{n}}{n^{2}}cos(nt)cos(nx) [/tex]

for fixed t

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] \left| cos(nt) \right| \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex] \left| cos(nx) \right| \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]lim \left|\frac{1 - (-1)^{n}}{n^{2}}\right| \ = \ 0 [/tex]

What's next?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2
    Well it's an alternating series isn't it? So... see if it's conditionally convergent and absolutely convergent

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3
    I'd like to use the Weierstrauss M test. Can someone help me in that direction?

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4
    What's b? It seems like there is a lot of stuff they added here to try to confuse you. Let's ignore the constant 4b/pi for now. Then for any n, for all x the absolute value of the nth term is less than 2/n^2. We know that the series 2/n^2 converges, so this series also converges.

6. Nov 20, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then do so. For each n you want a M_n such the |f_n|<=M_n (where f_n is the nth function in your series) and the series of the M_n converges. It's really pretty straightforward. You've already handled the cos parts. Any suggestions?

7. Nov 20, 2008 #6
    This is not an alternative series! The terms with n even are all zeros and terms with n odd are 2/n^2 * cos ( ) * cos (). So take its absolute value and compare it with the series sum(2/n^2, n=1..infty) (I'm ignoring the constant outside the summation. Hence the series is absolutely convergent!

8. Nov 21, 2008 #7
    Ok thanks everybody! I think I have gleaned enough to get a good answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?