Uniform Convergence: Series Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of showing uniform convergence for a given series involving cosine functions. The speakers mention using the Weierstrauss M test and compare the series to a known convergent series to determine its convergence. They also note that the series is absolutely convergent.
Somefantastik

Homework Statement

Show uniform convergence

[tex]\frac{4b}{\pi} \sum^{\inf}_{n=1} \frac{1-(-1)^{n}}{n^{2}}cos(nt)cos(nx) [/tex]

for fixed t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \left| cos(nt) \right| \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex] \left| cos(nx) \right| \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]lim \left|\frac{1 - (-1)^{n}}{n^{2}}\right| \ = \ 0 [/tex]

What's next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's an alternating series isn't it? So... see if it's conditionally convergent and absolutely convergent

I'd like to use the Weierstrauss M test. Can someone help me in that direction?

What's b? It seems like there is a lot of stuff they added here to try to confuse you. Let's ignore the constant 4b/pi for now. Then for any n, for all x the absolute value of the nth term is less than 2/n^2. We know that the series 2/n^2 converges, so this series also converges.

Somefantastik said:
I'd like to use the Weierstrauss M test. Can someone help me in that direction?

Then do so. For each n you want a M_n such the |f_n|<=M_n (where f_n is the nth function in your series) and the series of the M_n converges. It's really pretty straightforward. You've already handled the cos parts. Any suggestions?

This is not an alternative series! The terms with n even are all zeros and terms with n odd are 2/n^2 * cos ( ) * cos (). So take its absolute value and compare it with the series sum(2/n^2, n=1..infty) (I'm ignoring the constant outside the summation. Hence the series is absolutely convergent!

Ok thanks everybody! I think I have gleaned enough to get a good answer.

1. What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence in which the terms of a sequence or series become closer and closer to a fixed limit as the number of terms increases. In uniform convergence, the rate of convergence is independent of the choice of the point in the domain of the sequence or series. This means that the convergence is uniform over the entire domain.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence is a type of convergence in which the terms of a sequence or series approach a fixed limit as the number of terms increases, but the rate of convergence may vary at different points in the domain. This means that the convergence is not uniform over the entire domain. In contrast, uniform convergence guarantees that the convergence is uniform over the entire domain.

3. What are some examples of uniformly convergent series?

Some examples of uniformly convergent series include geometric series, power series, and Taylor series. In general, any series that can be shown to converge absolutely and uniformly over its entire domain is considered to be a uniformly convergent series.

4. How is uniform convergence related to continuity?

Uniform convergence is closely related to continuity. In fact, a function is continuous if and only if it is uniformly continuous. This means that if a series of functions converges uniformly, the limit function will also be continuous.

5. What are some techniques for determining uniform convergence?

Some techniques for determining uniform convergence include the Weierstrass M-test, Cauchy's criterion for uniform convergence, and the use of comparison tests. It is also important to understand the concept of uniform continuity and how it relates to uniform convergence. In general, it is helpful to have a deep understanding of convergence and series before attempting to determine uniform convergence.