1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series convergence

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use partial fractions to show
    [tex] \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n(n+1)(n+2)} = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did the partial fraction decomposition to get: [tex] \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{2n} - \frac{1}{n + 1} + \frac{1}{2n + 4} [/tex]

I'm not sure how to proceed from here, in my textbook the example shows how terms in the partials sums overlap and cancel out if you start looking at the terms in the partial fraction decomposition, however I can't see that happening with this particular series.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Write out a few term, n=1,2,3,4,5....N-3,N-2,N-1,N

then check as N->inf.

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3
    Hi,

I tried doing that originally, but I don't see any patterns that I can exploit when I write the terms of the partial decomposition for n = 1, 2, 3,..., N-2, N-1, N as you stated.

Do you have any further suggestions?

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write the terms for successive values of n each on a row 1/(2n+4) -1/(n+1) 1/(2n)
    1/6 -1/2 1/2
    1/8 -1/3 1/4
    1/10 -1/4 1/6
    1/12 -1/5 1/8
    1/14 -1/6 1/10

Oblique hint: diagonal.

6. Jun 10, 2009 #5
    Interesting, so everything seems to be canceling out if you keep going long enough diagonally, except the 1/4 in the second row. However is there any way to formalize this? Or is simply noticing this pattern enough for a formal proof?

7. Jun 10, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on how formal you want to be. Writing a table like that and scratching out the cancellations is good for me. If you want to do it formally write out the first term from the n case, the second term from the n+1 case and the third term from the n+2 case and show they cancel algebraically. What is important is to realize just because there isn't an obvious cancellation doesn't mean there isn't one.

8. Jun 10, 2009 #7
    Thank you for the help!

9. Jun 10, 2009 #8

txy

why not take out 1/2 from the partial fraction decomposition so that it's more obvious?

[tex]\sum^{+\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{1}{2n}-\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+4})[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{2}\sum^{+\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{2}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n+2})[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{2}\sum^{+\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n+2}-\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{2}\sum^{+\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}) + \frac{1}{2}\sum^{+\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{1}{n+2}-\frac{1}{n+1})
    [/tex]

10. Jun 10, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a nice way to handle it. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook