1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series convergence

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An=Ʃ(k)/[(n^2)+k]
    the sum is k=0 to n, the question is, to which value does the this series converge to
    2. Relevant equations
    i know for sure that this series converges, but could not figure out the value to whch it converges

3. The attempt at a solution

i did the convergence test, mod(An+1/An).. the value is 1. what i do now?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to use the squeeze theorem. Try and bracket that sum between two sums whose limit you can evaluate and whose limit turn out to be the same. Here's a hint. The k in the denominator is what's making it hard to evaluate.

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3
    actaully i don't want to find the limit of the fn. i want the sum of the series.

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

'converges' means you take the limit of the sums ##A_n## as n->infinity. There's no simple closed form expression for the sum. There is a simple expression for the limit of the sum. This isn't really the same as the usual infinite sum problem. ##A_n## isn't the partial sum of some series. The upper limit n is in the expression for the terms you are summing.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  6. Nov 29, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using the "test"
    [tex] \left|A_n + \frac{1}{A_n} \right| [/tex]
    (which is what you WROTE) will get you nowhere. Even the correct test ##A_{n+1}/A_n## (written as A_{n+1}/A_n or A_(n+1)/A_n) will still get you nowhere: your problem is NOT to decide on convergence of an infinite series.

The summation cannot be performed in elementary terms: Maple gets the answer
    [tex] \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{k}{n^2+k} = n+1+n^2 \Psi(n^2)-n^2 \Psi(n^2+n+1)[/tex]
    where ##\Psi(x)## is the so-called "Psi function" or "di-Gamma function", defined as the logarithmic derivative of the Gamma function ##\Gamma(x)##:
    [tex] \Psi(x) \equiv \frac{d \ln(\Gamma(x))}{dx} = \frac{\Gamma\, ^{\prime} (x)}{\Gamma(x)}.[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  7. Nov 30, 2013 #6
    @ray wickson,
    could you tell me an answer for this.

8. Nov 30, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nobody is going to 'tell you an answer', you have to work on it. You really don't need any nonelementary functions for this. Just think about comparison series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted