Series Convergence: Explaining P>1 & P>0

In summary: Sorry, I accidentally deleted the last part of the previous post when I was trying to edit it. The last part of the post was supposed to read as follows:As far as I can see you did not do any "reasoning" at all, but just wrote down some things without much justification.That said: what you wrote down appears to be true for integers p = 2,3,4, ... ! It may also be true for non-integer p > 1, but that is harder to justify. Maple can evaluate the sums numerically. Even to 40-digit accuracy or more, Maple gets the same numbers on both sides for integer p > 1, but can only match about the first 10 or 11
eyesontheball1

Homework Statement

Hi, everyone. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain something for me regarding the convergence of series. Thanks in advance![/B]

Homework Equations

In my calculus book, I'm given the following:

(1) - For p > 1, the sum from n=1 to infinity of n^-p converges.

(2) - For the sum from n=1 to infinity of [(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p), if lim of n^-p approaches 0 as n approaches infinity and if (n+1)^-p <= n^-p, then this alternating series converges. It's clear that this series converges if p > 0.

So we have two series, series (1), which converges whenever p > 1, and series (2), which converges whenever p > 0. What I don't understand is why exactly I'm wrong in the following reasoning:

Suppose p > 1. p > 1 =>

sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges and 1-2^(1-p) converges =>

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges, and

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} = sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} - 2*sum{n=1, infinity}{(2n)^-p} =

sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)} =>

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} = sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)} converges, but

sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)} converges whenever p > 0 =>

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} = sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)} converges whenever p > 0, and

1-2^(1-p) /= 0 whenever p /= 1 =>

sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} = sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)}/[1-2^(1-p)] converges whenever p > 0, p /= 1,

but we already know that sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} only converges for p s.t. p > 1, thus, we've arrived at a contradiction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You started off with the assumption that p > 1, and made use of that. You cannot later in the argument deduce anything about the case of p <= 1.
Also, I couldn't follow what happened to the (2n)^-p term. It would be a lot easier to read if you take the trouble to use LaTeX.

eyesontheball1 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, everyone. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain something for me regarding the convergence of series. Thanks in advance![/B]

Homework Equations

In my calculus book, I'm given the following:

(1) - For p > 1, the sum from n=1 to infinity of n^-p converges.

(2) - For the sum from n=1 to infinity of [(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p), if lim of n^-p approaches 0 as n approaches infinity and if (n+1)^-p <= n^-p, then this alternating series converges. It's clear that this series converges if p > 0.

So we have two series, series (1), which converges whenever p > 1, and series (2), which converges whenever p > 0. What I don't understand is why exactly I'm wrong in the following reasoning:

Suppose p > 1. p > 1 =>

sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges and 1-2^(1-p) converges =>

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges, and

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} = sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} - 2*sum{n=1, infinity}{(2n)^-p} =

sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)} =>

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} = sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)} converges, but

sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)} converges whenever p > 0 =>

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} = sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)} converges whenever p > 0, and

1-2^(1-p) /= 0 whenever p /= 1 =>

sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} = sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p)}/[1-2^(1-p)] converges whenever p > 0, p /= 1,

but we already know that sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} only converges for p s.t. p > 1, thus, we've arrived at a contradiction.

The Attempt at a Solution

In (2), do you mean
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n+1} \frac{1}{n^p}, \; p > 0 \, ?[/tex]
Yes, indeed, it is convergent. Have you heard of the "alternating series test"? See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_series_test

I apologize for not using LateX. I was a bit short on time when I made the post. What if I instead argued as follows:

Suppose p > 0, p /=1.

p > 0, p /=1 => sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p) converges, and sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p) = [1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} =>

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges => [1-2^(1-p)]

I apologize for not using LateX. I was a bit short on time when I made the post. What if I instead argued as follows:

Suppose p > 0, p /=1.

p > 0, p /=1 => sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p) converges, and sum{n=1, infinity]{[(-1)^(n+1)]*(n^-p) = [1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} =>

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges => [1-2^(1-p)] converges and sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges => sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges whenever p > 0, p /= 1, but we've already been given that sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges only for p > 1.

Also, please ignore the first of the two replies above.

eyesontheball1 said:

Suppose p > 0, p /=1.

[1-2^(1-p)]*sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges => [1-2^(1-p)] converges and sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges => sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges whenever p > 0, p /= 1, but we've already been given that sum{n=1, infinity}{n^-p} converges only for p > 1.

You say
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n+1} \frac{1}{n^p} = \left(1-2^{1-p} \right) \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^p} \;\Longleftarrow \;\text{false reasonng} [/tex]

Last edited:
Can someone please elaborate on why my reasoning is false?

Also, does the flaw in my reasoning have something to do with the Reimann rearrangement theorem?

eyesontheball1 said:
Also, does the flaw in my reasoning have something to do with the Reimann rearrangement theorem?

As far as I can see you did not do any "reasoning" at all, but just wrote down some things without much justification.

That said: what you wrote down appears to be true for integers p = 2,3,4, ... ! It may also be true for non-integer p > 1, but that is harder to justify. Maple can evaluate the sums numerically. Even to 40-digit accuracy or more, Maple gets the same numbers on both sides for integer p > 1, but can only match about the first 10 or 11 digits when p > 1 is fractional (with different levels of accuracy for different values of p).

I thought so.

eyesontheball1 said:
I thought so.

Nevertheless, your "reasoning" had no substance; you really need to do things carefully and convincingly. Otherwise, nobody will believe you.

Thank you for the help, Ray.

eyesontheball1 said:
Thank you for the help, Ray.

OK, I see how to fix it up your basic argument. Let ##p>1##. Then, for finite integer ##N > 0## we have
[tex] \left(1-2^{1-p} \right) \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{n^p} = \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{n^p} - 2 \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{(2n)^p} \\
= 1 + \frac{1}{2^p} + \frac{1}{3^p} + \cdots + \frac{1}{N^p} - \frac{2}{2^p} - \frac{2}{4^p} - \frac{2}{6^p} - \cdots -\frac{2}{(2N)^p} \\
= 1 - \frac{1}{2^p} + \frac{1}{3^p} - \frac{1}{4^p} + \cdots \pm \frac{1}{N^p} - 2 \sum_{n>N/2, n \leq N} \frac{1}{(2n)^p}.[/tex]
Since ##p > 1## the "error" term ##2 \sum_{n>N/2, n \leq N} \frac{1}{(2n)^p} \to 0## as ##N \to \infty##, so we end up with your result
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n-1} \frac{1}{n^p} = \left(1-2^{1-p} \right) \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^p}[/tex]

Well done!

Last edited:
Gotcha!

Ray Vickson said:
It may also be true for non-integer p > 1, but that is harder to justify.
Isn't it fairly straightforward for all p > 1, using fact (1) given in the OP?

1. What is series convergence?

Series convergence is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of an infinite series as the number of terms approaches infinity. It determines whether the sum of the terms in a series will converge to a finite value or diverge to infinity.

2. What does P>1 and P>0 mean in series convergence?

In series convergence, P represents the ratio of the absolute value of the (n+1)th term to the nth term in an infinite series. When P is greater than 1, the series is said to diverge, meaning that the sum of the terms will approach infinity. When P is greater than 0 but less than 1, the series is said to converge, meaning that the sum of the terms will approach a finite value.

3. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

To determine if a series converges or diverges, we can use various tests such as the ratio test, the comparison test, or the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases, and depending on the result, we can determine if the series converges or diverges.

4. Can a series converge if P>1?

No, a series cannot converge if P is greater than 1. This is because when P>1, the terms in the series increase at a faster rate than the harmonic series, which is known to diverge. Therefore, if P>1, the series will also diverge.

5. Why is series convergence important in science?

Series convergence is important in science because it allows us to determine the behavior of infinite quantities and make predictions about the real world. In fields such as physics and engineering, infinite series are often used to model natural phenomena, and knowing whether these series converge or diverge is crucial in making accurate predictions and calculations.