1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series convergent questions

1. Dec 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Determine if arctan(7+1/n)-arctan(7) converges or diverges

2. Determine if 2/1-1/2-1/3+2/4-1/5/-1/6+2/7... converge or diverge

2. Relevant equations

series tests

3. The attempt at a solution

1.My gut instinct is to do limit comparison test w/ 1/n, and it worked and I got divergent, but I really don't get why.
    2. I did a similar problem in which we group every 3 terms. However, in class, the 2nd and 3rd terms were >0 and every third term combined made a divergent series, so comparision test yields divergent. But in this series, the 2nd and 3rd terms would make the series 0 to inf 2/(3n-2) smaller and it's inconclusive whether smaller than divergent is convergent or divergent.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to show some more of your work to get an answer. How did get a comparison with 1/n. And for the second one what's the expression for the sum of the 3 grouped terms in terms of n? Do some algebra to combine them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted