Radical Simplification: \sqrt{4^2 + 5^2} = \sqrt{16 + 25} = \sqrt{41}

• Thread starter tangibleLime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given series converges or diverges. The method used is the comparison test, and the limit test is also considered. There is a question about how to manipulate a radical in algebra. The solution involves pulling out terms and simplifying the expression. Another solution is to multiply the series by a constant to make it easier to compare.
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series converges or diverges.

symimage.cgi?expr=sum_%28n%3D1%29%5E%28infinity%29%20%28n%2B2%29%2Froot3%28n%5E7%2Bn%5E2%29.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answer but I'm not sure if my method is correct, or if I made so many mistakes that I ended up with the correct answer. If someone could go over this and tell me if my math is perfect or flawed, that would be fantastic.

First I set up a comparison series. The (7/3) comes from taking the n^7 out of the cubed root.

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n}{n^\frac{7}{3}} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^\frac{4}{3}}[/tex]

This new series is a convergent p-series since p = (4/3), and (4/3) > 1.

So to test if the original series is also convergent, I have to use either the direct comparison test or the limit test. The limit test looks like it would be a pain to do, so I tried the direct comparison test. Unfortunately, the original series is not less than or equal to the new series, so the direct comparison test would not work. So I used the limit test.

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}} |[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac{n^{\frac{4}{3}}*n+2}{\sqrt[3]{n^{7}+n^{2}}} |[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac{n^{\frac{7}{3}}+2}{\sqrt[3]{n^{7}+n^{2}}} |[/tex]

Seeing that the highest power up top is equal to the highest power on bottom (7/3), I used to shortcut that the limit will end up being the ratio of those two coefficients (in this case, 1/1 = 1).

So b_n is >0, the limit is 1, which is a positive, finite number, which confirms that the original series is convergent.

I think the radical is throwing me off... I don't know what to do with it. When I try to take the limit do I divide all the terms by n^7, or n^7/3 since it's under the radical? Or is it fine the way I did it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pull out n7/3 from the radical, simplify the expression a bit by making the n7/3's cancel, and then take the limit.

Well that's what I'm having difficulty with... pulling terms out of that radical. I've searched the Internet high and low and apparently there is no example of pulling out a term of a radical that is being added.

For example:

[tex]\sqrt{4^{2}+5^{2}}[/tex]

[tex](4^{2}+5^{2})^{1/2}[/tex]

[tex]4^{2/2}+5^{2/2}[/tex]

[tex]4^{1}+5^{1}[/tex]

[tex]4+5[/tex]

[tex]9[/tex]

And I know that the original definitely does not equal 9, so this can't be a correct method... So I don't really know how I can just pull that n^7 out of that cubed root.

What you reasoned in the original post should be fine. As n grows large, the n^2 term under the radical is insignificant, so the denominator behaves as n^(7/3) and it is clear the ratio a_n / b_n tends to 1. Don't forget to multiply the 2 in the numerator by n^(4/3).

You can also use the comparison test. Just multiply your simple series by e.g. 2. Then for all n greater than some value, the augmented simple series will be larger. This is a common trick you should know.

Ahh, makes sense. Thank you all!

Reply to the algebra question: [itex]\sqrt{4^2 + 5^2}[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{4^2 (1+ \frac{5^2}{4^2})}[/itex]

[itex][4^{2}(1+\frac{5^2}{4^2})]^\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

and by the law of exponents

[itex](a^{m}b^{n})^c = a^{mc}b^{nc} [/itex]

[itex]4^{\frac{2}{2}}\sqrt{1+ \frac{5^2}{4^2}}[/itex]

Thats it.
OMG I hate writing code, but this is to help others so smile!

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a series to converge or diverge?

When a series converges, it means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as more and more terms are added to the series. In contrast, a divergent series does not have a finite sum and its terms either approach infinity or oscillate between different values.

2. How can I determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and can help determine if the series converges or diverges.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series when all of its terms are considered positive, while conditional convergence refers to the convergence of a series when some of its terms are positive and some are negative. A series that is absolutely convergent is also conditionally convergent, but the opposite is not always true.

4. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series cannot converge and diverge at the same time. A series can either converge to a finite value or diverge to infinity, but it cannot do both simultaneously.

5. How does the rate of convergence affect the behavior of a series?

The rate of convergence refers to how quickly a series approaches its limit. A series with a faster rate of convergence will approach its limit in fewer terms, while a series with a slower rate of convergence will take more terms to approach its limit. A series with a faster rate of convergence is generally considered to be more desirable than one with a slower rate of convergence.