1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series converging to zero?

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all, I've been banging my head at this one for a while so any help is appreciated!

Consider the series,
    [tex]\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k = 1}^{n} \frac{1}{k^{\delta}}[/tex]
    where [tex]\delta \in (0,1)[/tex]. My teacher tells me that this series converges to zero but I am unable to prove that it is so.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Indeed, I can easily show that this series converges (i.e. to something, but not necessarily to zero) by doing the following. Since for [tex]k = 1, 2, \ldots, n[/tex], we have that [tex]k \leq n[/tex], then it folloWs that [tex]k^{\delta} \cdot k = k^{1 + \delta} \leq k^{\delta}n[/tex], and this implies we have [tex]\frac{1}{k^{1 + \delta}} \geq \frac{1}{k^{\delta}n}[/tex]. And since [tex]1 + \delta > 1[/tex], then it implies [tex]\sum \frac{1}{k^{1 + \delta}}[/tex] is a convergent p-series and hence by the Comparision Test, it follows that [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{k = 1}^{n} \frac{1}{n} \frac{1}{k^{\delta}} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{n}\sum_{k = 1}^{n} \frac{1}{k^{\delta}} < \infty[/tex].

--- but then again, what I need is to show that the series not only converges, but converges to zero! (note that if we had [tex]1/n^2[/tex], instead of just [tex]1/n[/tex], then this problem immediately follows from what I'd shown above. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?