Solve Series Difficulty: \sum^{n}_{k=1} kx^{k} & \sum^{n}_{k=1} k^{2}x^{k}

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for obtaining a similar result for two given equations involving summation. The speaker mentions their difficulty with manipulating the limits of the summation and asks for guidance. They also mention their attempts at solving the problem and ask for clarification. The expert summarizer provides a solution by explaining how to manipulate the index in a sum and provides a simplified form of the equations. The speaker expresses gratitude for the help.
Chewy0087

Homework Statement

Given that

[tex]\sum^{n}_{k=0} x^{k}= \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x} [/tex]

Obtain a similar result for ;

[tex]\sum^{n}_{k=1} kx^{k}[/tex]
[tex]\sum^{n}_{k=1} k^{2}x^{k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey, well basically my trouble with this question stems from the manipulation of the limits and the effects that it has on the series itself;

For the first one, I differentiated giving me;

[tex]\sum^{n}_{k=1} kx^{k-1}= \frac{x^{n+1}-x^{n}(n+1)+1}{(1-x)^{2}} [/tex]

Obviously when k<0 it doesn't hold as it would be 0, so I changed it to 1 from 0, and I can then reduce the lower index to 0 to make it into a better form.

However I'm just confused as to how to manipulate the index, and as to whether it would have any effect on the initial RHS equation. I don't seem to be getting the right answer in the way I've done above.

I have looked this up but no-where seems to be very helpful about it...

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Manipulating the index in a sum is as easy as changing variables. If k starts at k=1, then s=k-1 starts at 0. So

[tex]
\sum^{n}_{k=1} kx^{k-1} = \sum_{s=0}^{n-1} (s+1) x^s.
[/tex]

I have a feeling that it's something to do with discarding the k=0 and so changing to to k=1, and then changing the index back to 0 and doing the same? But that feels like such a cop-out.

fzero said:
Manipulating the index in a sum is as easy as changing variables. If k starts at k=1, then s=k-1 starts at 0. So

[tex]
\sum^{n}_{k=1} kx^{k-1} = \sum_{s=0}^{n-1} (s+1) x^s.
[/tex]

I feel so stupid, I wasn't reducing the upper limit >.<.

Thanks bud

What is the purpose of solving series difficulty?

The purpose of solving series difficulty is to determine the level of difficulty of a series and to find ways to simplify or solve it. This can help in understanding and manipulating series in various mathematical and scientific applications.

What is a series?

A series is a sequence of numbers or terms that are added together. It can be finite or infinite, and the sum of the terms can be calculated to determine the value of the series.

What is the notation used for series difficulty?

The notation used for series difficulty is \sum^{n}_{k=1} kx^{k}, where n is the number of terms in the series, k is the index of summation (starting from 1), and x is the variable. This notation can also be used for other types of series, such as \sum^{n}_{k=1} k^{2}x^{k}.

How do you solve for a series difficulty?

To solve for a series difficulty, you can use various techniques such as the geometric series formula, the binomial theorem, or the method of differences. It involves manipulating the series in a specific way to find a pattern and determine the sum or a simplified form of the series.

What are the applications of solving series difficulty?

Solving series difficulty has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to determine the value of infinite sums, solve differential equations, and analyze the behavior of systems in different fields. It is also important in understanding and developing algorithms and computational methods.