1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series diverge or converge?

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    series for (n^2+1) / (n^3+1)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was under the impression that if the denominator is increasing at a larger rate than the numerator, then it will become smaller and smaller approaching zero? So it would converge

But I did the working and the comparison test dictates that it must diverge

Which one is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Just because the terms of the series approach 0 doesn't mean the series will converge.

The converse, however, is true: If the series converges, the terms approach 0. The n-th term test is the contrapositive of this statement: If the terms don't approach 0, the series diverges. Note it says nothing about what happens when the terms do go to 0.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. Jun 12, 2012 #3
    Well, 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... diverges but the terms approach 0 (see "Harmonic Series" in wikipedia)

5. Jun 12, 2012 #4
    The comparison test is right.

6. Jun 12, 2012 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Expressing the general term as [itex]\frac{1}{n - \frac{n-1}{n^2+1}}[/itex] and comparing to the harmonic series gives a quick answer.

7. Jun 12, 2012 #6
    Dividing top and bottom by n2 (or even n3) might do what you intended a little nicer, me thinks. But like Curious said, it gives you a quick answer, and for instance is not a proof, that I know of.

8. Jun 13, 2012 #7
    Use a comparison test, with n^2<n^2+1, and 1/(n^3+n^2)<1/(n^3+1), combining this will gives 1/(n+1)<Sn

9. Jun 13, 2012 #8
    I think you're confusing series and sequences

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook