Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Series diverge or converge?

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    series for (n^2+1) / (n^3+1)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was under the impression that if the denominator is increasing at a larger rate than the numerator, then it will become smaller and smaller approaching zero? So it would converge

But I did the working and the comparison test dictates that it must diverge

Which one is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Just because the terms of the series approach 0 doesn't mean the series will converge.

The converse, however, is true: If the series converges, the terms approach 0. The n-th term test is the contrapositive of this statement: If the terms don't approach 0, the series diverges. Note it says nothing about what happens when the terms do go to 0.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. Jun 12, 2012 #3
    Well, 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... diverges but the terms approach 0 (see "Harmonic Series" in wikipedia)

5. Jun 12, 2012 #4
    The comparison test is right.

6. Jun 12, 2012 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Expressing the general term as [itex]\frac{1}{n - \frac{n-1}{n^2+1}}[/itex] and comparing to the harmonic series gives a quick answer.

7. Jun 12, 2012 #6
    Dividing top and bottom by n2 (or even n3) might do what you intended a little nicer, me thinks. But like Curious said, it gives you a quick answer, and for instance is not a proof, that I know of.

8. Jun 13, 2012 #7
    Use a comparison test, with n^2<n^2+1, and 1/(n^3+n^2)<1/(n^3+1), combining this will gives 1/(n+1)<Sn

9. Jun 13, 2012 #8
    I think you're confusing series and sequences

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook